Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warranty and dealer question long

This year I purchased a new RXP-X and a GTR for the gf. I noticed the gtr would constantly surge around 2800-3000 rpms and my rxp-x would surge one hot days around 5600-5800. There was also some cosmetic issues with the ski. The bumpers were fading already and they are always covered, the grip on the gtr was already starting to tear and the glove box on my rxp-x would pop open when I hit a little bump. I called the local dealer the other week (I will not name it at this time) and asked how backed up they were and if I could bring the skis in for them to take a look at. They told me they were not backed up and bring the skis down.

I took the skis in and told them all the things I wanted to be checked out and they told me the bumpers and grip were not covered but they would fix the glove box and check out the surging. I asked them if they could reset the maintenance light on the gtr since I do my oil changes and it would save me a trip from having a friend do it. They said sure no problem. Fast forward to today. I get a call and they tell me the skis are ready to be picked up. I drive down to pick up the skis and see what they found out. They told me they drove each ski for 45 mins and the ski never surged. Which is odd because the GTR does it all the time. So I told them I wanted to buy two of the oil kits so I could change the oil before I winterize the skis. He says sure no problem and tells me I owe him almost 400 dollars. I said I thought the oil kits were 70 each. He said yes so I ask why it is almost 400 he said well we charged you 1.5 hours for driving the skis trying to figure out the surging issue. I said that makes no sense the skis are under warranty he said yes parts are covered but not labor. I said so your telling me when a ski is under warranty I have to pay the amount of hours it takes for a tech to diagnose the issue and he tells me yes. I said this is absurd and he said well if you don't agree you have to wait till the owner gets here and talk to him. I asked when he would be back and the guy called him and told me 5 mins. So I wait 30 mins and the owner finally gets there and he comes in with an attitude and asks me what the problem is. I asked him how I can be charged for them riding the ski trying to figure out the surging issue which they claim it didn't do. He tells me well I don't work for free. I said I would expect that this is covered under warranty hence the reason for spending all this money on new skis and a warranty. He then tells me that he didn't charge me for riding the skis for 1.5 hours even though that is what it says on the paper work and tells me it was for turning off the maintenance light. I said so it took 1.5 hours to turn the light off on the GTR . He said well I had to do it on both skis. I said no it was only on the GTR and why wouldn't you call me to tell me you were going to charge for this when you said you would just do it when I dropped off the ski and said nothing about a charge.

Then he gets all pissed off and starts yelling at me and tells me I am pissing him off and next thing I know all his workers come out from the back and stand in front of me and beside me. He then asks me if I think he should work for free. I said no I think you should be up front and honest with your customers and not make up lies on what you are charging them for. I said clearly you were trying to charge me for driving the skis and now you are trying to tell me it was for turning off the light. I said it doesn't take 1.5 hours to turn off the light on a ski. He starts yelling and arguing with me telling me I have no idea what it takes to turn off the light.

To make a long story longer I tell him I am not going to pay that much for him to turn off a light when he first tried to tell me it was for driving the skis. He says well I charge 225 dollars for the 10 hour service. I said that's great but you didn't perform any service on the skis. All you did was turn off a light. He goes well how much would you pay. I said nothing because it should all be covered under warranty. Then he says so if you take a new car into a dealer and it has a check engine light on you expect them to turn that light off for free. I said NO I expect them to fix the issue that is causing the check engine light and then turn the light off. That the is whole reason for buying a new car with a warranty. He then goes well this isn't a check engine light it is a maintenance light. I said so why even use the car thing as an example. He was just grasping at straws. So while he is still arguing with me two of his workers go outside and hook up my skis and take them to the back behind the fence.

He then again goes well how much would you pay and I stood my ground and said I shouldn't have to pay anything it should be covered under warranty. I then asked him what shop supplies he used on the ski because there was a charge for that and he told me the soap and water to wash and flush the ski. I was blown away that he would even try and charge for that.

To end this long novel he wouldn't release my ski unless I paid him something and mind you I was already buying two oil kits from him. So I ended up paying 20 dollars to have him turn the light off of the ski and still bought the oil kits from him. I took the covers off the ski before I left to check them and they were covered in salt spots so the whole story about washing and flushing them was probably bs also. I took the skis back home and dropped the gtr in and sure enough it still surges at the same rpm. I had full tanks on both skis when I took them in. They were both down one bar. I drive them enough to know 45 mins of riding on each ski would use more gas then 1 bar.

So my question, if you made it this far in the novel, is has any dealer ever tried to charge you for driving the ski or trying to diagnose a problem when the ski is under warranty? What should my next steps be besides finding a new dealer? Should I call corporate and file a complaint against the dealer and their tactics?

TIA

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    ...................wow

+1
    Tia,

While it does suck for the customers, NO manufacturer, not a car or a boat or a motorcycle manufacturer will pay for diagnosis time or in your case the time to ride the skis. Your warranty will cover the repair and if it is a good/smart dealer they will work some of the time to diagnose the problem into the warranty claim with the manufacturer and then either eat the remaining part or pass it along to the customer.

All dealers have some sort of a water/lake test fee, even if they are located on the water.

Now if your GTR is truly doing what you say, then it should be easy for the shop to find. For that, you may want to find another dealer.

To be honest with you, all of these skis have some sort of a "surge" to them. Not trying to be a smart ass, but I would ask you why you bought a performance ski but you are riding at 2800 to 3000 rpm??? It could be a lean spot in the fuel curve, it could be a timing change causing the "surge" as you are calling.

I hope I have offered you some insight to your issues...

Tiny,

Thank you for the reply. Just to clarify she doesn't drive the gtr at 2800-3000 rpms but when coming out of a slow no wake sometimes she will bring the rpms up slowly and noticed it. Then I took it for a ride and also noticed it around that RPM range. Also when going through a slow no wake area where there is a big wake or wave she will ride ride at that RPM to bring the front end up to stay dry. I am winterizing the skis this weekend so it will need to wait till next season.

+1
    I use to work for A BMW dealer and I got them to pay for diag more than a few times for customers. I would never ask the customer to pay for diag on a car under warranty. If this is true its wrong on so many levels, it's all about customer service these days.

+1
    Yeah I have never paid anything for Diagnostics on a car under warranty nor for anything to be repaired. In the last 5 years I have had 4 brand new cars due to the fact i put about 60,000 miles a year on them for work. Ford, Lincoln, Honda and Toyota and all where in for one reason or another and all i ever paid for was regular scheduled service even if nothing was fixed I was never billed. After seeing this and seeing Tiny's answer and I know he knows PWC dealerships I'm glad I didn't buy any additional extended warranty on my ski I would have be pretty upset when I walked in and they tried to charge me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosguru7 View Post
    Yeah I have never paid anything for Diagnostics on a car under warranty nor for anything to be repaired. In the last 5 years I have had 4 brand new cars due to the fact i put about 60,000 miles a year on them for work. Ford, Lincoln, Honda and Toyota and all where in for one reason or another and all i ever paid for was regular scheduled service even if nothing was fixed I was never billed. After seeing this and seeing Tiny's answer and I know he knows PWC dealerships I'm glad I didn't buy any additional extended warranty on my ski I would have be pretty upset when I walked in and they tried to charge me.

Did you go to Redline in Myrtle Beach??? Probably part of the problem!!!!

Sounds like the dealer I bought my ski from. I would not have bought the oil change kits from him after that. I do get them not wanting to reset the light for free since they were likely not otherwise going to be hooking it up to BUDS but trying to charge you to diagnose an issue that would be covered under warranty is poor form IMO.

My my one and only trip to the dealer here for the first service resulted in my engine being .75 quarts over full on oil. When I politely pointed this out to the owner he told me I don't know how to check it... Maybe we are talking about the same guy.

I wish I was closer to Tiny that's for sure.

+1
    Ha funny shit. Good on you for sticking it to him , we spend alot of money on these expensive toys and to maintain them and if something goes wrong in the warranty period then seadoo should pay to have it fixed.

+1
    I'd be contacting Corporate. Charging for the diagnostic while under warranty is nonsense IMO but the real issue is the treatment , the changing stories and blatant lying. I'd never go back and get some social media going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information