Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Excessive Vibration

Purchased a low hour machine 2006 RXP. PO said it beep while riding. It cranked fine but notice excessive vibration. Check compression 125psi all cylinders. Took it out expecting to see a low oil sensor. Got a P01116 high temp. Pulls hard. Runs fine until over heat. But that appears to be a different than the vibration.

The vibration is so bad, the plastic cover vibrates off. I pull against engine right and left and it felt solid. Do you still think the vibration is the mount? How to check? I also thought maybe pump or out of alignment. I cant remove pump and shaft and run as the oil will come out. Any input on the vibration issue. I feel the over heat is a separate problem.

+1
    When it overheated did it dump the coolant out of the overflow? If it's only overheating after a bit of hard riding no doubt it will be the head gasket.

You need to check the pump, prop, wear ring to see if that's the cause of your vibration.

Would also like to see what the spark plugs look like. Are any fouled/ wet?

+1
    No coolant out of overflow. No specs in coolant. No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil. Pulled thermostat. Opens when heated. Still could me head gasket. I didnt check pressure while running. Need to find new water pump housing as someone had been in there and cracked a tab on the outlet. Pump veins look good.

Plugs looks new when I check compression. No unusual coloration or fouling.

Will be removing pump, but it shake so much, It almost feels like balancing issue. Pump sounds ok. Maybe I can idle with pump out and see if still vibrates. Still suspect motor mounts.

+1
    Check all the obvious stuff first. Drive line components such as pump clear of debris, impeller not banged up, impeller nose cone in place and secure. This will cause all kinds of vibration, if the rubber nose cone is out of place, run forward on the shaft, etc. Pump bearings. Wear ring with in tolerances. Carbon ring / floating ring and c-clip all in proper alignment. Any of the engine mounts could be cracked. And finally the engine and pump may be out of alignment.

Start at the pump and work forward very methodically.

+1
    OK. I've done a bit more work and still am having issues. 2 Motor mounts were separated so they have been replaced. Pump removed. Still vibrates more than it should. I replace head gasket with ARP studs just as a precaution. Could be no fire on a plug at idle maybe? I am going to start a new thread on the overheat as do not want to complicate things here. I cant imagine they are related. I am somewhat concerned about the balancing shaft misaligned. As I have noticed the intake manifold/intercooler have been replaced. I cant tell if the engine was apart though. It runs great for the short time I can run it.

+1
    Has it been modded? Like larger injectors, or SC?
    Bad or cracked coil pack, arcing in the tubes (even moisture in the plug holes
    bad spark plugs

Could have a cracked prop blade as well.

What was the max RPM it turned when it ran good?

+1
    Thanks for the Reply guys. Stock ski. No Mods. New plugs. It runs good. Can't remember RPM but 63 maybe on the OEM speedo. Pull hard. Motor mounts were broke when I bought it. Either from jumping or I suspect the contiuned vibration. With pump out it still vibrates at idle. Seems to smoothe out at higher revs, but could be it's not as noticable due to faster vibes.

+1
    when you run it without the pump I assume the driveshaft is out of it?

9. +1 by:

GGG

+1
    The drive shaft is in place but supported in the center of the tunnel. We didn't need to rev it up as we knew it didn't fix the problem as soon as it was started.

+1
    try running it (for a short time) with the driveshaft out. I saw a ski once that was used to jump huge wakes, it broke the mounts and tweaked the driveshaft causing a bad vibration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information