+1

Fuel Tank Replacement ?

Did anyone get there fuel tank replaced yet by the dealer ?

+1
    I keep getting the recall notices. I've got the ski home and am debating taking it in. Wondering what the process is, how long it takes, and if its worth the risk to let someone who likely has not clue go mucking around in the ski. I've got one friend who is buying a used honda so the selling dealer has sent the ski off for the recall fix. If I hear back what they do I'll post details.

+1
    Heard from an ex-Honda engineer on the project that there's a special tool the factory uses for engine to pump shaft alignment and most dealers don't have one...so bearing failure could be an issue. Not sure how accurate this is.

Quote Originally Posted by tyranny View Post
    I keep getting the recall notices. I've got the ski home and am debating taking it in. Wondering what the process is, how long it takes, and if its worth the risk to let someone who likely has not clue go mucking around in the ski. I've got one friend who is buying a used honda so the selling dealer has sent the ski off for the recall fix. If I hear back what they do I'll post details.
    Well, I've had my recall completed for some time now. Its really not a complicated procedure, Honda made these boats relatively easy to work on. Also, they included a step-by-step guide book instead of just a recall bulletin. The tech will first need to run the machine on a hose and note any warnings or pre-existing issues and bring them to the attention of the customer. Then proceed to remove the jet-pump, then the engine, then the fuel tank. Once the hull is nice and empty they remove the rubber bumpers from where the tank sits, and replace them with larger styrofoam pieces. After the new tank is installed with new hold down straps and a new fuel pump seal, they re-install the engine. There is an alignment tool that the authorized dealer will need in order to align the engine with the jet-pump. Some boats will need the engine to be shimmed to be properly aligned because the engine mounts have squished down a bit with age. Then you're ready to install the jet-pump and do some quality control (i.e. Run it on the hose again to ensure everything is working as it was before the service). btw, You're talking about trained and certified technicians, we don't just "muck around" with anything. The head tech at our shop has 27yrs experience at this dealership, and went to aquatrax school when they first released the boats in 2002, needless to say we haven't had any issues with boats coming back with defects. To date I estimate we've completed upwards of 50 or 60 fuel tanks.

However, if you're concerned your dealer does not have a certified/competent tech. Find a dealer that does, its really not that hard, heck we have 2 certified techs in our service department.

+1
    hey guys thanks for the input, i will check with my dealer this weekend. thanks again.

Just had mine done, took them 2 days. It's worth the peace of mind. It's nice to know everything is resolved and plus the whole ski gets looked at in the process. Makes you aware of any possible issues that need attention.

Thread Information