FX 140 Cruiser vs. FX140 HO

My first post! I have a 2004 FX140 cruiser with 155 hours on it that I just bought as my first ski. There is some noise from the propellar area I plan to investigate and believe it is the wear ring so I will address.

My question - what is the difference in engine / drive system that makes a HO better / faster / quicker than the Cruiser? I think I want some more power and factory tested parts are usually the best in my experience for trouble free, long term performance.

Is it possible to update a Cruiser to HO engine specs and is it worth it? If not should I get the K&N filter and stacks and then look into the drive plate etc?

Thanks for your patience with the new guy.

"Cruiser" only signifies extra comfort features, typically seat, foot pads, extra gauge settings, etc. HO is "High output" which signifies more engine performance. The 2 are not related because technically there are FX HO Cruisers. Are you sure you aren't talking about the FX-140 (140hp) versus the FX-HO (160hp)? I am not aware of an FX-140 HO.

Regardless, I think I would save my money instead of dropping it into the FX-140.

Jersey CI
    The FX 140 is 998cc........the FX 160 HO is 1052cc. That is where the extra 20 HP is coming from. Also, in most years, the FXHO has a slightly lighter hull then the FX.
    There is no such model as a FX140 HO.........FX & FX Cruiser are 140HP, FXHO & FXHO Cruiser are 160HP.
    Hope that helps.

That makes some sense now.. FX Cruiser is the model I have and the FX HO is a separate model with a larger engine and related go fast bits. Sounds like upgrading from FX Cruiser to FX HO is more than swapping exhaust or ECM. Woth a shot.

I'll take recommendations on what I should upgrade when I change the wear ring if it will give me some more scoot.

Brisbane, Australia
    I agree with CCW. I have an FX140 and it is a great ski; fuel efficient and fast enough for me, but if I was to spend money I'd put it towards a newer NA ski.

Thread Information