Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to find the source of an oil leak on 1200GP

Hi All!

The great news is that I found the ski I was looking for, a 1999 Yammy 1200 SUV but I just found a small pool of oil in the engine well. I know these setups are known for having bad oil line connections (I have new lines and metal hose clamps on the way) but I do not believe that's the culprit. I have inspected the lines, zip ties, and line terminals and they are intact.

So my question is what other common sources of oil leaks are these known for if there is such an answer? I'm a total noob so I also have to ask what a good way to clean these engines and engine bay would be. I checked the manual and there wasn't anything useful.

Thanks!

Thanks! Some pics included in case they help.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1827.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	346240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	346241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 11.56.56 AM.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	346238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 11.55.39 AM.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	346242
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 11.54.45 AM.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	945.9 KB 
ID:	346239  

+1
    When I clean the inside of my hull, I put laundry soap in the front and rinse it down. It can sud up pretty bad though, so make sure it doesnt get to the carbs. Your tank might be cracked.. clean it really good and let it sit for a couple days and see of the oil returns.

+1
    Any degreaser should work pretty good as well.

Thanks Reaper. I do intend to clean it really well so that I can track down where the oil is coming from. Do the rear drain plugs connect to engine bay? Its not clear from my manual.

yes

+1
    MacGruber can chime in here as he is running an oil pump again now... Things to check that might also cure your leak:

1) Do the small lines feel brittle? If so replace them. Use double-zip ties where they attach to the air box.
    2) Check the check-valves--make sure they flow and only in 1 direction (arrows on the check valves indicate direction).
    3) Pull the cover off the air box, and then the oil pump and attach a drill. Crank-up the drill and you should see a small amount oil dripping from inside each oil line nipple in the air box.
    4) Follow the oil pump adjustment procedure from the shop manual.

BTW, it does not appear to be leaking from the oil tank, or bottom nipple of the tank--I do not see any stains on the fuel tank below the oil tank.

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    yes

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give bullet 3 a try.

The lines do not feel brittle and they're still flexible and I double zip tied the connections prior to cleaning the engine bay.
    I ran the engine for some time after and have not seen any pooling. I checked around with my fingers checking for any sign of leaks and did not see any. Perhaps the tweaking and double zip tying helped.

Another question that comes to mind before I cleaned the engine bay are if those oil residue "buggers" are common. If you look at IMG_1869.jpg , near the top of the picture on the side of the engine bay there's some gunk splattered. I wonder if this is related to the pooling.

Thanks.

+1
    It's a 2-stroke, so oil in the engine bay is inevitable. However, pools of oil are not.

Check to see if that pool of oil is just water with some oil on top.

+1
    My neighbor has one just like your's.Gobs of room to work on.I'd do like you say and replace all oil lines and double tie(cheap insurance)THEY ARE 15 years old.Have you checked compression on it? What about the carbs? Have you considered premix?

Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    My neighbor has one just like your's.Gobs of room to work on.I'd do like you say and replace all oil lines and double tie(cheap insurance)THEY ARE 15 years old.Have you checked compression on it? What about the carbs? Have you considered premix?
    I've checked on compression and they're at 117ish, 120, 120 warm. I have not checked the carbs yet but that's next on my to do list. I am definitely considering premix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information