Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Our 1st HydroDrag debut (with video)

I can't begin to express how much fun and good time we had this past weekend at the World Finals. Josh, Jesse and myself left Slidell Saturday evening and drove straight through to Tavares. We pulled into the race site around 3am and sat in the truck until we heard Kristian on the lake testing with his silver bullet turbo FZR. Next time we'll get a hotel and do a little better planning in regards to sleeping arrangements. I said "we're going to race, not to sleep" Needless to say, halfway home I was looking for some sleep. I drove the whole way there and 90% back...all in all, it was worth the lack of sleep.

After finalizing a few things with Mike Young Sun morning, it was on to mingling with everyone and starting to put faces with names. Speaking of Mike Young, this dude is a soldier and a hell of a race promoter. I was really impressed with the way he coordinated the event and ran the show. We decided not to test and race off the trailer, being we tuned the morning before in Slidell and I made adjustments relative to what the weather was scheduled to be in Tavares. This allowed us to hang out more and work less, which is essentially what we wanted to do. Everyone was so accommodating and nice to hang with. I've spoken to several members here online, via pm's, on the phone etc, but it was nice to actually shake some hands and speak face to face with them. We met Kristian Ichazo last year in Morgan city, so we looked forward to hanging with him and his crew from the impression he made on us in Morgan City. They're really a good group of guys and it was nice to see all the families involved and attending the event. I'm use to the bike drag racing scene, where it isn't as family friendly and not near the atmosphere the HydroDrag venue provides for a family. We were hoping to hang with Rayge, but he didn't make it. We did get to visit with his buddy Tonito Lopez, who's a straight up guy and cool dude to hang with. Definitely a big thanks to Adam Bomb for the videos, pictures and dedication to the series. It was nice getting to meet Dave from Riva, and was pretty cool for him to want to come by the trailer and check the ski out. Meeting Chris Caputo was nice as well. He had a looooong drive home, so I didn't feel as bad making our drive. Josh introduced us to Dean and his team which was pretty cool as well. It's nice being around guys who are performance enthusiasts and share the same interests. Of course all the regulars were there, Kerry, Stan, Ross, Duke etc, which we also got to hang with a little. Tommy had mentioned Barry Lee was going to make his first hydrodrag debut as well in the n/a class and to look out for him, which he won both the drag and speed alley class. Congrats to him on that. We spoke with him for a while during the event and he's a class act. Of course we hung out with Murray and his crew. It was finally nice to meet Big John as well. As much as I come here online and read and see about these guys, it was really nice to finally get an opportunity to hang out with and meet them. I could go on about everyone and how good of a time we had...but i think you guys get the idea.

We didn't run as fast as we tuned, or planned to... but I've heard from several people this lake isn't that fast and don't expect to make big mph on a GPR. The way I saw it is everyone is racing the same water, so we'll give it a shot. It's unfortunate we never had time to tune the hull between runs, because I'm pretty sure I could have gotten a handle on it and got that bounce out. Right as the ski started to make speed, it started bouncing...which it literally has never done that. We've been spoiled with flat water and generally don't run when it's windy, for more safety sake, not speed sake. That's racing and I'm not complaining, we were just disappointed we never ran the speed we went to run. We'll be back regardless and look forward to hanging with all you guys again. Thanks to everyone who supports the events and has a hand in making them happen.

+1
    107 is hauling the mail. Congrats!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Job well done Keith! I hope Barry got you headed in the right direction on hull set up for even more speed in the future. Tommy Jordan

+1
    So glad you guys made it that is one of the best built ski I have seen and you guys are the type we need to keep the sport growing you guys are class acts (not you joshie��) and know what it takes to build quality boat, we had several guys come for the first time I'm so glad to see new guys come out and try it so many people sit behind the key board and talk negative about the drags all while never attending a event

can't wait to see you guys at another event soon

+1
    Damn, I need a ski that when it does 107mph I can say it was slower then we planned.
    That is a sick ski and hella fast.. Congrats

7. +1 by:

+1
    Its gotta be hard knowing you had to run a lazy 107 lol that is makkin speed! Id love to see 110

+1
    Thank you guys, we appreciate the compliments and congrats. We were happy with the outcome of the event, just a little disappointed in the speed we ran. We've been tuning and slowly creeping up speed and really got behind when we had to make some injector scaling and fuel pump pressure changes...basically remap the whole tune in one day. But...that's racing. We made 2 short runs the morning before the event here and with the changes we made, it really really responded well. That's the numbers we wanted to see...but on the same token, that's the number we want to bring to the next venue. We're pretty determined to continue progressing, and after hanging with everyone and having as much fun as we did, the next event can't come fast enough.

Scott, it was definitely nice meeting you...that goes without saying. I remember somebody saying Josh said he's drive the whole way....hmmmmm, remember that? He never touched the steering wheel, other than with his feet when he was sprawled out across the front seat trying to sleep once we arrived at lake Dora. And a big congrats you as well. 88.6 on a STOCK class ski is freakin flying. You guys have your program inline. We definitely look forward to hanging with you guys as well and attending as many events as we can. Thank you again for the kind words.

Tommy, Barry is a super nice guy and was a pleasure to speak with. He shared a few secrets with his boat that we may look into, but at the speeds we're at, we need to make subtle changes and see how it responds. Jesse isn't scared to try anything and said he'll deal with whatever happens if the ski gets upset...but i just want to continue making slight changes until we get to where we really want to be. Thanks for your help along the way as well.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Congrats guys that's a Super nice looking and done up GPSHO !! I know that monster has more in it as we could tell when it jumped out of the water and still achieved 107+ !! Like I said you guys have done an amazing job for being out the for the first time and taking 1st place along with being the fastest on that lake !! Good Job and looking forward to see you guys at the next event !!

+1
    Great job!

+1
    great job guys

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information