+1

Japanese PWC Lost During 2011 Tsunami Returned After Washing Ashore in Hawaii

Yup, you read that title right. A Yamaha WaveBlaster lost by Tomo*mune Matsu*naga from Fukushima, Japan, during the 2011 earthquake and tsunami washed ashore in the Johnston Atoll, about 700 miles southwest of Honolulu, Hawaii. Amazingly enough, the ‘Blaster stayed afloat the 3,300 miles from Fukushima all the way across the Pacific Ocean.

Found by Danielle Lampe, an intern doing a bird survey for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, discovered the PWC this past May; and now, thanks to some help from Chris Woolaway, the Hawaii coordinator for International Coastal Cleanup, Matsunaga is getting his ski back free of charge.

The post Japanese PWC Lost During 2011 Tsunami Returned After Washing Ashore in Hawaii appeared first on The Watercraft Journal.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 11-06-2014 at 07:30 AM.

+1
    Crazy. Even crazier my Grandfather was stationed on Johnston Atoll in the late 40's.

+1
    WHy is the ski covered in American vocabulary if its japanese owned? Still an awesome story. Can't believe it stayed afloat with the upper half gone.

+1
    Wow, that's wild. Glad to hear the captain was willing to bring it back on his ship for free an reunite it with its owner on the 11th.

Rob

Umi racing is out of AZ, while setusa is a multicurltural awearness group.

The registation decal above the Sponson leads me to beleive its legit...google 'japan jet ski' and thats where i see they place them

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by devils ride 250 View Post
    WHy is the ski covered in American vocabulary if its japanese owned? Still an awesome story. Can't believe it stayed afloat with the upper half gone.
    I was wondering something similar a couple of years ago at festival in Baltimore. There were boats there from all over and as we were on a boat heading out to see the Blue Angels, we passed a Japanese Coast Guard boat all in English.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6160304.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	346511

+1
    The Japanese pop culture loves to use American/English words even if not correctly. I remember when I was stationed there a long time ago an ad campaign where the chick in the commercial shouts, "Let's sports!"

Also, you can look around here and see the same mindset. Bikes with aftermarket exhausts declaring Yoshimura in the Japanese lettering style known as Katakana. I haven't been to Japan in decades, so I don't know if the company's logo is in Katakana domestically, but it may be because their font looks really cool. But it is a family name and more properly written in Kanji, which is much more difficult to read.

Thread Information