Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 sltx 1050, no spark

REbuilt motor, changed stator, rebuilt carbs. Checked all ohm values, 7.6 v on brown CDI wire when cranking, Plug wires ohm O.K. No spark.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Measure the battery voltage with the engine cranking. Should be well over 10.6 volts, otherwise no spark.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Measure the battery voltage with the engine cranking. Should be well over 10.6 volts, otherwise no spark.
    I did, its 11.6, I've ckd everything in the manual I can find with no luck, no spark. I even put the spark tester on my mower to varify it was working. I've ohned the plug wires & primary coil wires too.

+1
    See my signature links for the tests for stator. Just work through the diagnostics.

Is this an original ignition system or an ignition update kit?

Make sure the lanyard is in place

Double check that all grounds are actually good. Sometimes a ground wire can be forgotten or not put back properly. The electrical box grounds are different between original ignition and the updated version.

See my signature links for the tests for stator. Just work through the diagnostics.

Double check that all grounds are actually good. Sometimes a ground wire can be forgotten or not put back properly. The electrical box grounds are different between original ignition and the updated version.
    All grounds ckd. Stator is replacement, bought from GH member, ohms good, not updated version. Lanyard in, ckd for circuit through it and stop button. I have gone through all sig. links & manual, stator ohms good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hill313 View Post

All grounds ckd.

Stator is replacement, bought from GH member, ohms good, not updated version.

Lanyard in, ckd for circuit through it and stop button. I have gone through all sig. links & manual, stator ohms good.
    Did you also check for stator coil shorts to ground? Or to each other?

And check the Hall Effect sensors for correct triggering?

Lanyard switch kills ignition when the Black/Yellow wire is shorted to ground. Disconnect that wire at the CDI, just in case there is a wiring problem somewhere.

Also double check that every wire is indeed connected to the correct color coded terminal. It is easy to mistakenly put a wire on an adjacent tab rather than the correct one.

Thanks for your reply. I have ckd the hall trigger sequence, but I did not ck stator coils for gr. or shorts. Thanks, I'll ck tomorrow. Ski is 30 miles South @ Mom's Barn so its a deal to go work on it. I'm afraid I probably will have to go with a update stator & CDI, but I hope not.

+1
    I have PVL update kits for your 1050, 620.00 + s&h. Includes new updated CDI, Stator coil, mag cover gasket, and dielectric grease.

Feel free to email [email protected] or call the shop 608-743-1305 to order.

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    I have PVL update kits for your 1050, 620.00 + s&h. Includes new updated CDI, Stator coil, mag cover gasket, and dielectric grease.

Feel free to email [email protected] or call the shop 608-743-1305 to order.

John, thanks for replying. I'm checking more today, but I'm about at the end of my road. Everything cks correct by specs, but no spark. I'll contact you after this weekend of going over everything again.

Banned User
    +1
    If it were mine and I liked the ski, I would just do the update.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information