Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to wear in cold weather and cold water

A group of us fish in Galveston, TX. A warm area for sure, but it still gets cold in the winter. Water temps in the 50s probably. We've fished in outside air temperatures of 35 degrees.

My question is what should we be wearing.

The last couple times in the cold I wore thermal underwear and undershirt, Under Armour shirt, underneath breathable waders and a rain jacket.

I stayed warm enough, but obviously, that wouldn't cut it if I had to get in the water to clear out my intake, or for any other reason.

I don't have a lot of experience (actually none) with wetsuits and drysuits. I understand that a wetsuit lets the water in and that body heat warms up the water against the skin. Part of me thinks this might be ok, but I just don't know.

Drysuits, that I've seen, are significantly more expensive.

Anyone from a colder climate have any advice?

Thanks,
    Chris

Banned User
    +1
    I ride in all kinds of cold weather and water. If there is any chance you will be in the water or getting wet then the proper gear is essential. I wear a 7mm full suit along with 7mm boots and 5mm gloves. If its really cold i also wear a 5mm scuba hood.

Pick a wet suit that is appropriate for the water temps you will be riding in.

That's actually my question...

Is a wetsuit going to provide enough protection from 50 degree water? I've never

Crap. Wasn't done typing...

Anyway. I've never experienced cold water with a wetsuit. I just want to make sure if I have to get in the water, that I'll still be able to continue fishing afterwards. I'd hate to find it that I'm going to get hypothermia because my skin is wet underneath the wetsuit.

Banned User
    +1
    The right suit will protect you from cold water. I have gone swimming with my outfit in water that was in the low 40s. Its a little cold for the first minute or so but then its like being in 80 degree water once the suit warms up.

+1
    I like my oniel boost suit. Its good down in to the 50s with only a sweat suit on under it. Takes seconds to put on or remove..... $300 new

+1
    That looks a lot colder than 50.

+1
    Thats my point! It is only as warm as what you have on under it. Its loose fitting and does not choke you or turn your hands and face blue like a typical wetsuit or drysuit.

+1
    Where did you buy it for $300, everywhere I see it for $499 ? I want one .

Did you go kite skysurfing by yourself ? Scary in and out to get to deep non-frozen water . Looks like fun.

I ride year around in Texas water on a standup with a 20 dollar wet suit from academy.. For hours at a time.. In and out.. But I don't use gloves or boots and I do regret it after last season

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information