Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 Virage i wont stay running

I have replaced my tps, emm, spark plugs and all cooling hoses in the past.
    ski ran great for a while now it wont stay running. at first it would only stay running if I held my thumb on the start button. so I removed the LR-503 module and bridged the 2 terminals to get it to start with the button.
    it went good for a while then it started to run on only 1 cylinder

now it fires for about 1 or 2 seconds and dies. if I hold my thumb on the button it continuously fires for a second then dies.
    what could the problem be? I have a new LR module on its way.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where did the replacement EMM come from?

How long did the machine run properly with the replacement EMM?

Have you verified that the EMM is being properly cooled, no water hose blockages?

im from Australia and the EMM came from Jetsport in QLD. it was a used EMM.
    water flow is good and the EMM gets warm but never hot.
    ran for about 10 hrs before I started having problems. spark plugs are not wet or oily but very black. and I spark plug snapped in half recently

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeh_24 View Post
    ... ran for about 10 hrs before I started having problems...
    Well, work through the diagnostics again. May be the replacement EMM has now failed.

5. +1 by:

just put a new LR module in. now the ski will stay running but only if I hold my thumb on the start button.
    on occasion it will stay running but if I stop it and start it again its back to square one.

when I first got the ski going it was running on only 1 cylinder, so I out a drop of oil under each end of spark plug leads and it ran fine for 10hrs. now this.
    could it be faulty coil or leads?

+1
    just put a new LR module in. now the ski will stay running but only if I hold my thumb on the start button.

on occasion it will stay running but if I stop it and start it again its back to square one.

when I first got the ski going it was running on only 1 cylinder, so I put a drop of oil under each end of spark plug leads and it ran fine for 10hrs. now this.
    could it be faulty coil or leads?
    If you fully disconnect and bypass the LR-503 module then the LR module cannot affect the EMM or the engine. This will tell you if the LR module is involved or something else.

With the LR-503 module disconnected and bypassed the Start button will only be connected to the start solenoid and start motor. No connection to the EMM or ignition.

I suspect, and you can confirm by doing the LR bypass, that the problem is not actually with the LR module but elsewhere, possibly ignition or EMM.

Why did you put oil on high voltage electrical connections? Are the spark plugs or cable boots very dirty (partially conductive)?

the boots were cleaned with electrical contact cleaner when I first got it. after this it would run only on 1 cyl. I used some oil to see if it would help, and it did. so I think it has dodgy leads and or boots.
    but that doesn't explain why the engine wont stay running now. shouldn't it still fire up on 1 cyl?

I removed the LR unit and done the bypass, same thing exept now it wont stay running if I hold the button in, it just fires for a few secs then cranks for a few secs and so on and so forth.
    with the LR unit installed it will stay running only if I hold the button in. Dash does display RPM.

+1
    the boots were cleaned with electrical contact cleaner when I first got it. after this it would run only on 1 cyl. I used some oil to see if it would help, and it did. so I think it has dodgy leads and or boots.
    but that doesn't explain why the engine wont stay running now. shouldn't it still fire up on 1 cyl?

I removed the LR unit and done the bypass, same thing exept now it wont stay running if I hold the button in, it just fires for a few secs then cranks for a few secs and so on and so forth.
    with the LR unit installed it will stay running only if I hold the button in. Dash does display RPM.
    Something odd going on, obviously.

Put inline spark testers on all three spark plugs. See if the EMM is actually trying to fire all three spark plugs. Also look for intermittent spark that stops and starts while the engine is continually cranking.

I have had EMM that would show strong spark for a few seconds, then no spark for a few engine revolutions, then spark again. The EMM was in need of repair, but the engine sounded like it wanted to run.

Double check that you actually have the correct spark plug wires on the correct cylinders. And the color codes match for the fuel injector wires and the ignition primary wires.

ok will test after work tomorrow. its a 2 cyl 800 DI BTW.
    what could be wrong with the EMM, something burn out?

also on a different topic. are the cylinders Nikasil plated?

+1
    ok will test after work tomorrow. its a 2 cyl 800 DI BTW.
    what could be wrong with the EMM, something burn out?

also on a different topic. are the cylinders Nikasil plated?
    Iron sleeve cylinders on all Polaris red engines. Only the MSX 140 Ficht engine has Nikasil cylinders.

There are several common failure points inside the EMM. One common item (but not the only thing) is a large capacitor known as C89. When it gets weak from age or heat the EMM gets kinda crazy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information