Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 Ultra 250X Overheating issues

Hello,

My friend owns 2 2008 Ultra 250X. He uses them as Flyboard machines. His skies has Dual Prop to give him better flight and more life at lower rpm. He uses them in salt water and he flushes them very good. It overheats after 7 mins of 3/4 throttle. He has checked cooling lines and pull apart the exhaust manifold to clean it and put new gaskets. It still overheats after he did all that check up. He took his ski to dealer 3 times and still haven't fixed it. His mechanics said that he thinks that theres no real water flow going through.. Any ideas how to fix it? Any feedbacks would be helpful.. Thanks

+1
    Check output shaft cooler right by the pto and where it comes out and goes into waterbox. also oil cooler on starboard side up front make sure that blows freely. may want to fill cooling system with white vinegar through the flush outlet and let sit overnight...i'll bet all kinds of crap comes out next day. When it starts to heat up can you run your hand over all parts of engine/exhaust and narrow down what part is getting hot first?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    the joys of using a product for something that it was NEVER designed for

if both are doing the same thing , its an easy puzzle to work out

the flyboard is the issue, what rpm is he running the engine at ?

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    the joys of using a product for something that it was NEVER designed for

if both are doing the same thing , its an easy puzzle to work out

the flyboard is the issue, what rpm is he running the engine at ?

Waz
    250 over heats within 20 min at 6500 of steady flying. But just using it in JetSki mode I can fly across the water at 7000 to 7500 RPMs for over an hour and won't overheat

+1
    how do you know it overheats? what is the code? if its inlet air temp there is a fix for it..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd say the flyboard setup was cavitating the pump based on post #4

part of what helps the jetpump push enough water is the forward motion of the ski that helps pressurize the pump inlet. I'd wager that with the ski putting along while you use the thrust to go verticle the pump is cavitating.

I'd ask the flyboard tech folks about this kind of issue

I have a simple solution...

tap off the flyboard nozzle with a 3/4 inch quick disconnect fitting and run the outlet to the skis water inlet, this will provide a significant increase in water flow without giving up much thrust. That may be all that is needed, but certainly check with the flyboard folks first.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    how do you know it overheats? what is the code? if its inlet air temp there is a fix for it..
    It displays the word heat and regulator won't allow it to go over 3000 rpm

+1
    obviously the way the pump is set up then, not enough pressure to feed the engine. as posted above.

+1
    Classic case of not getting whole story...had I seen post #4, I would be saying he may not have sufficient pressure/flow to remove heat as it flows to the engine coolers/ic first then to the exhaust then add to the fact it May have some corrosion (known kawi issue/6 year salt)I know the gpr pump stays negative pressure until like 30-45mph then goes positive 50+psi... I would bet with no positive pump pressure at even half throttle the intake isn't designed to pull that much water...and you said he he's running dual props so it's really pulling some water you know it has to be slipping in the water stream causing cavitation (air bubbles) it is in the pump setup...May not have any blockages, did they ever operate without over heating for extended periods with the current setup?
    Last edited by xxx2; 11-11-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Just saw where is 2 skiis with same problem

When I rebuild my motor due to a bad head gasket I found all the cooling jackets were clogged with salt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information