Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Polaris 1200 Virage DI

This is the long so I start by apologizing. I got this ski from a friend and he had not taken care of the unit. Long story short, I replaced the motor with a salvage motor ( compression was 130,135,130). I installed this, replaced the hoses, replaced a good bit in the electrical box (he had let water stand in this), and also replaced the reverse motor ( this was corroded beyond recognition). All this being said it has been a fun project for a novice.

I have the ski back together (everything torqued correctly) and fired the ski up. It sounds great at high revolutions, but I cannot get it to idle. What am I missing here? Is there a way for me to check the synchronizing of the direct injectors, or is this even a potential problem? I am at a loss and after 2 months of slow meticulous work am very frustrated that I cant get the ball across the goal line. Any help or advice would be greatly apprecated. i really like the Polaris units (although they dont seem to get the respect they deserve in the south). I have the 4-wheelers, razors, and believe this could be a great water craft. Any ideas. Thanks so much.

Really blown away at the knowledge on this site, its amazing.

Thanks
    Benny

Banned User
    +1
    Do you have the correct spark plugs? NGK PZFR6H only. No other so called equivalent will work. Do not let a parts guy tell you otherwise.

Other thing to check could be the TPS. Unplug it and see if it will start and idle.

3. +1 by:

+1
    A friend of mine had the same ski with the same problem, it was the TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Do you have the correct spark plugs? NGK PZFR6H only. No other so called equivalent will work. Do not let a parts guy tell you otherwise.

Other thing to check could be the TPS. Unplug it and see if it will start and idle.
    I am embarassed to say The parts guy gave me an Autolite Ap5224 (I gapped at .30). I will get the correct ones tomorrow.

I will also try this on the TPS and update. thank you

I will try this tomorrow and update.
    Thanks
    Benny

I went out in the shop and unplugged the TPS and the ski would not start. I was a little baffled (thinking it was me) so I plugged it back in and it started. Still wouldnt idle but seemed to tach up really nicely. I am not sure if this helps but this seems to be what it did.

Also orderd the plugs and will pick those up in the morning and put in the ski and try again. Should know something on this about 9:00 a.m.

Thanks Again

Banned User
    +1
    I bet the correct plugs fixes your issue

9. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    wrong plugs is THE most common issue on the Polaris skis that I get to wrench.

The plugs are expensive and nobody except a ski shop is going to have those plugs on hand ( I keep one set in inventory at all times). Auto parts guys are always suggesting cross plugs which just don't cut it for a Ficht system which requires a specially crafted plug.

Make sure the throttle cable has some freeplay..most hacks try to fix the problem by raising the idle speed by using the throttle cable adjuster.

that won't do.

You have done well here and you're in the right place to get the advice you need to resolve the problem

if you sniff around ebay you could find a better price

pick up a spare tps while you're at it..you need one of those in your spares bag.
    Last edited by K447; 11-11-2014 at 07:40 PM.

I bet the correct plugs fixes your issue
    Well the right plugs fixed the problem. Thanks so much. New issue

I let idle with a water hose connected to get engine warm, so I could check the torque on the bolts. It appears cylinder closest to-front stayed cool while the other 2 warmed up. Water exiting never really got warm exhausting ski. Any ideas how to check this before i overheat a head.

Thanks

Benny

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    that's normal when you run water thru the flush connection. trace the hose from the jetpump that feeds water to the engine and hook your water supply to that..then the engine will have normalized water flow and you can get th engine up to temp.

grease the driveshaft carrier bearing before you do this and limit running time to a couple of minutes-the pump needs water to stay cool and the pump and carrier bearing will overheat if you run for more then a few minutes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information