Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

VTECH Datalogger - best way to measure during a run

Have VTECH datalogger with connected AFR (Bosch LSU4.2 O2 sensor)...

To get an accurate reading for creating a log so I can then use the "auto tune" feature with the VTECH maptuner, what is ideal:
    1. Start log, make 1 high speed run, stop logging (0 to top mph)
    2. Start log, ride for an hour at different speeds, stop logging
    3. Start log, run through a buoy course between ˝ to full throttle for several minutes, stop logging
    4. Make 3 separate logs as indicated above and average them together

Any other tips are appreciated.

What have you done so far? Have you run this tune all summer and just now got the logger or is this all new to you?

+1
    Been running with everything in my signature successfully for a good while. I just got the logger and want to optimize with current tune/setup.

I have a new ET137+4 waiting in a box but not touching it till I get injectors (VT1100) and a couple of other things (later). I just want to see if I can improve with the current setup.

Sorry to say Sanfish, a CMD autotunes, in real time, 60 times a second and makes the adjustments. So you don't need an average "one size fits all" tune. If you're really trying to wring out the best alround performance, this is the next best thing to a race engineer in your engine. In fact, at times, better once you're dialled in your overall tune, the only autotune is working to tune afr's to weather, altitude, fuel quality, humidity etc etc (the ever changing variables).

Not poking sticks at V-tech (i love my tune), just saying what's available for your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    Sorry to say Sanfish, a CMD autotunes, in real time, 60 times a second and makes the adjustments. So you don't need an average "one size fits all" tune. If you're really trying to wring out the best alround performance, this is the next best thing to a race engineer in your engine. In fact, at times, better once you're dialled in your overall tune, the only autotune is working to tune afr's to weather, altitude, fuel quality, humidity etc etc (the ever changing variables).

Not poking sticks at V-tech (i love my tune), just saying what's available for your requirements.
    What about if the engine starts to knock due to fuel quality or other issues.
    The stock ecu would then ad fuel automatically, But If you run a CMD it would then remove this extra fuel and risk engine damage.

Also, in marine environment its very common for AFR sensors to fail.
    If you use an active autotune on your ski and the sensor start to go bad you would not know it, and risk engine damage.

Also, our logger logs much more then just the fueling.
    It will tell you what the the throttle is doing.
    What boost you have - are all pipes and hoses ok or do you have a leak?
    What intake temperature you have - does your intercooler cope with the power or is it a restriction?
    And much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Been running with everything in my signature successfully for a good while. I just got the logger and want to optimize with current tune/setup.

I have a new ET137+4 waiting in a box but not touching it till I get injectors (VT1100) and a couple of other things (later). I just want to see if I can improve with the current setup.
    If you have been running that setup for a wile with no apparent issues, then just go out and ride the ski as you always do. I prefer to view the data later with MegaLogViewerHD later but the online Vtech SW works ok for basic fueling.

I do run a CMD and a Vtech. But both systems have positive points. There is no way I can get to my tune without the Vtech. The CMD just made it faster to get to the final Vtech answer.

Andy

+1
    Tornado43, I actually wanted to go with the VTECH datalogger. I can understand if someone is asking opinions on CMD vs. VTECH...but don't see the point in your comments as it doesn't apply to my posting.
    Don't need this turning into another "this VS that" thread

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECH.SE View Post

The stock ecu would then ad fuel automatically, But If you run a CMD it would then remove this extra fuel and risk engine damage.

If you use an active autotune on your ski and the sensor start to go bad you would not know it, and risk engine damage.

What intake temperature you have - does your intercooler cope with the power or is it a restriction?
    And much more.

Glad you pointed that fact about Autotune and the knock sensor.

Then what is the safe to to tune once I start modding? I'm speaking about the first time when your dialing things in?

Thanks,
    George

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VTECH.SE View Post

And much more.

Glad you mentioned this about Autotune and knock sensor.

What is the safe way to dial in new tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Tornado43, I actually wanted to go with the VTECH datalogger. I can understand if someone is asking opinions on CMD vs. VTECH...but don't see the point in your comments as it doesn't apply to my posting.
    Don't need this turning into another "this VS that" thread
    With respect, I wasn't starting a this versus that debate.

It may have been the case that you bought the v-tech believing it to be one thing, not realising whats out there to do the job better (depending on what you want it to do).

When we choose to spend in excess of $25k on our projects, it's not out of the question to quit one solution route already started to take up another. A $500-$1000 spend to achieve what you're looking for to maximise the rest of your mods, isn't out of the question.

Been there. Should have quit out early on Vtech & CMD and gone Motec throughout, but guess I found out too late just what it can do and how good the unit is.

@v-tech - accept that each systems has plus & minus and I don't say yours is bad, far from it. But for me, and Sandfish as I read, the CMD is a better choice. Also, just for clarity, the CMD does log very many parameters, inc boost, engine temp, throttle position and anything else you want if you choose to tap in to the +5v.

O2 sensors can fail and do, but that's not a reason to not use them. Look after them, change them out as a consumable item and you've got a pretty rock solid control of your combustion. CMD WILL NOT tune to a bad O2 sensor, it's smarter than that. Also, you can choose to limit the maximum adjustment the CMD makes. So once you're dialled in, set the max to say +\- 5% then it will just fine tune to small weather changes, something the Vtech cannot. Maybe worth you guys buying and running a CMD so you can understand it and can compare with all the knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information