S/C rebuild options

I purchased a S/C that was rebuilt with metal washers from a greenhulk member,and took my OEM S/C with approx 11 hrs out of the ski and replaced with the rebuilt one. I still have several hours before the rebuilt one will require a rebuild,but was wondering a course of action for when the need arises. My factory S/C would only require a washer change (which is $50 labour,plus cost of washers/bearings,and shipping costs to jerry).

As I'm shipping from red deer,canada.....I would have to determine shipping costs.

Do you think this would be the best choice........

+1
    what year SC?
    what HP?
    hours used are not the only reason to rebuild them

Of course the debate is if you should just change washers or the make a while re-build. Either way (especially if you're only gonna change washers), why not do it yourself? You don't need a garage full of tools to change washers and set the slip.

Personally, I only ever rebuild the whole SC and never pass 100hrs. Use only OEM kit (with Riva / Mcmans). A small insurance to pay to protect the ticking timebomb that is the SC!!

The OEM factory one that I took out of the ski had 1o hours on it. I purchased the ski used with that amount,then after reading through green hulk,went through the classifieds to purchase one that was chg'd over to Riva washers. I was having difficulty finding a mechanic here who deals with marine parts specifically and the local seadoo dealer would only do the chg of washers with factory ceramic.....
    I have a reasonable mechanical background,but have never worked on Rotax before.
    The ski is a 2007 RXT215.

I will chg the washers over to the Riva washers and set the slip..........hopefully all goes well.

I'm curious to know why there is a time standard on the S/C...........(other than just hours of run time).

+1
    the SC needle bearings and seals are wimpy
    remember at 8000 rpm that SC is spinning 48,000 rpm
    sitting a long time dry out the seals and condensation rusts the needles
    that can result in early SC failure that also
    can causes engine failure similar or worse to washer failure

ok,thanks skidoochris, the OEM S/C is stored inside,but that causes concern........rather rebuild seals and bearings,as well as washers vs the risk of damaging the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by abseakayak View Post
    ok,thanks skidoochris, the OEM S/C is stored inside,but that causes concern........rather rebuild seals and bearings,as well as washers vs the risk of damaging the engine.
    Don't just do a washer swap...even on an sc with only 10hrs. Get the full rebuild. You do not want the old bearing cages falling apart while you're doing 60+ down the lake.

Ask me how I know.

Thread Information