Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 VXS Oil Leak

As the title says don't know if to call it leak or huge spill. Today after a couple of months (yes I haven't used the ski that much being scuba diving) I go ahead and decide to run the ski on the hose for a lil bit. Cranked it up and was all perfect, surprised the battery had enough power to crank up.

Let it run for 15 min on the hose and decide was long enough put cover and everything back on the ski and put on an angle like always so water doesn't accumulate on the hull when it rains.

Surprise oil was pouring out of the plugs like crazy I mean a couple of quarters had to be in there. The only thing that I can think of is a lil rusted knick on the oil filter. Last time when I changed the oil I chipped the paint coat on the filter and it started to rust. I checked the filter and it looks really rusted and I could see oil in the hull right under it. I am pretty sure is that I did not have the toll to take out the filter with me, ski is at my in laws. Hope to take it out this weekend and inspect it.

What else should I check engine did not make any noises while running, the ski is well maintained and only has 96 hours on it. What else could be?

Common problem. I wipe marine grease all over mine after installing. Replace and youll be good to go

3. +1 by:

Kwtony thanks for the reply, yeah I am hoping is just that and will take ur advice for next time with the marine grease.

When you change the Oil Filter, if you don't put a bunch or rags under it, there will be quite a bit of oil that drains into the Hull. There's enough room around the Filter to get some rags stuffed in there to mop up some of that oil.

Just be glad you aren't changing an Oil Filter on an Ultra; it's a real PITA! JB

JB yeah I do that when changing my oil filter I guess I also have to be more careful when tightening it so i don't scratch the coat and get it rusted like this time, it most likely got so rusted that poked a hole and oil leaked out of it. I do notice is really accessible in these engines.

+1
    How did u scratch the oil filter? Did you use the filter tool to tighten it or did you just put it on by hand?

Orange Fzs I used one of those universal tools thy wrap around the filter and I guess it slipped and scratched the paint

+1
    Though that might be the case. Use the tool to remove the oil filter but when you install the new filter you only need to put it on as tight as you can by hand. This will prevent scratching the filter and will also make it easier to undo next time you do a filter change. Hope that helps

+1
    I guess most are running in salt water. If the filters are that bad about rusting I would throw a coat of rustoleum paint on them. When I change my oil I put a plastic garbage bag under the filter and get zero mess, also you should never use a filter wrench to put one on any vehicle.

+1
    Know a jetski rental business that wouldn't change the oil until it was in the bilge, also would remove air filters cause they usually overfilled the oil and would clog up. Those skis are tuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information