Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 15F Engine Help

15F Engine Help

I came across a 2006 15F with 20hrs on it, yes twenty. It's been sitting in storage with a blown motor. After taking it apart I found it needs both upper and lower cases as well as cylinder. Blew a rod due to water ingestion and that rod took out these parts. Shitty thing is, it was a coolant hose that came loose. I called kawi to ask about good faith repair due to low hours and they laughed at me. It seems they have tons of problems with 15's, 250's blowing up due to water ingestion and don't really care to do anything about it.

Question number 1, since the ski only has 20 hours on it. What is the ski worth without an engine?

Question 2, if I want to replace the engine... does anyone have a complete low hour engine they want to sell. I called sbt, but the block is not a useable core so it's going to be $2300 + 900 for a core. At that price it's not worth going the sbt route. I could buy the parts and repair the engine but that adds up as well as kawi doesn't sell a short or long block. So..... do I fix the ski or part it out?

+1
    Where are you located? Any damage to the head? That can be another hefty expense.

I'm in NJ, no the head seems to be OK. I'd be willing to crate the engine and ship it to a good shop that can tear it apart and make fixes but no one locally wants to do this. I guess the parts are expensive and most people go with a repower option. I've been looking on craigslist and ebay but nothing really to speak of. I'd hate to part it out as it only has 20hrs and is really like new. Does anyone have cases and a cylinder? Do any engine shops do this kind of repair?

+1
    I think the only options you really have are to find a beat up or crashed 15F with a good motor or to part it out, any engine shop would still charge more than SBT because of the high cost of parts, if time isn't a concern you may be able to find enough parts on the internet to nearly assemble a running motor. It also depends on how much you have invested in this ski, if the hull is in mint condition it may be worth 3 grand for the engine, this ski in great condition is worth about 4 at most.

Does anyone know where I can find cases and a cylinder at a reasonable price?

+1
    I have a set of cases that I'd let go for $400. The paint is in rough condition but the inside is clean. I have a crank also, but yours is probably salvageable. I don't have a set of cylinders. Good cylinders aren't cheap. If you don't need any welding you can have them replated for around $500, but if you need welding the costs start to add up. I wouldn't bring it to a shop because you are gonna spend more in labor than you will in parts. For what you will pay in total, you could probably buy a nice running ski.

I'd buy it from you if you were closer. If you know anyone headed South that will tow it, let me know!

What are they from, how much use have they seen? They are perfect? Meaning, no cracks or chips of any kind? PM sent with email info.

+1
    There you go... Pacer's case for $400 (very fair price), and if you hunt around you'll find a set of cylinders for $400 also. Sounds like you'll also need at least one rod (pay attention to the weight mark inked in the side), and probably an oil pump?

-Greg

What would it cost to re-sleeve a cylinder?

Does anyone else have a set of cases in good condition?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information