Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Antifreeze and winter?

So, today I took my ski into the dealer to get it winterized and he told me that they dont pump antifreeze into it. That it is unnecessary. I was told that they run it, then drain and get all the water out so that there is nothing to freeze. Does that sound right? He also said that a lot of winterizing is just inspecting everything and that they do all that stuff for the service of it. So I just got them to do the first service and he said the winterizing was included. 280$. Any thoughts?

+1
    where do you live?

Olympia washington

in my 24 years of pwc repair career Ive only seen two pwcs freeze. a seadoo rfi water cover on bottom of case that the drain clogged with sand and a old tiger shark. run some anitifreeze in engine and it immediately runs out on the ground on yamaha and kaw! and if you dont blow out the exhaust water box it can freeze and still wont hurt anything because its only a third or so full and has plenty of room to expand if it does... But I ran service calls all over the lake for the last 4 days winterizing boats and pwc's.. I just cant screw people if my customers do a oil n filter and plugs I w/z for free and I only charge 175.00 parts included apiece and thats on there lake dock service call and all. I do antifreeze hondas because honda says they can freeze and serv manual says to. 4tec seadoo is closed cooling system and i test anifreeze in the unit incase someone added h20 to system.

+1
    Antifreeze is more for for insurance than necessary. I would at least remove the hoses from the intercooler for peace of mind. Also make sure all water drains from the exhaust manifold. The early 2 stokes would freeze up as water would sit in the block due to the pump design.

two strokes drain from the cylinders into exaust manifold and manifold have a nipple that drains out a hose to the exaust outlet on hull. Ive disassembled many many engines that locked up at wot and wasn't even two ounces of water in cylinders.

heres a 2009 and back fsm download that will guide you on factory recommendation on winterizing a 4tec http://www.seadoomanuals.net/

Is the intercooler part of the closed loop cooling system? If so then we shouldn't have to worry about it freezing. If not then running anti-freeze into the engine is probably a very good idea.

+1
    No the cooler is watercooled. A closed loop system is just the engine that is cooled by the rideplate and thermostat to regulate it.
    The IC and exhaust is still watercooled therefore needs to be antifreezed.

+1
    it's cheap insurance, especially if you have an intercooler. (you didn't give any information on your year and model ski)
    the antifreeze costs less than $3.00 a gallon....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information