1999 STX 900 big troubles

Good evening all. Bought (back) my 900 from a friend who bought it from me a year ago. He's a really good guy but knows <0 about 2 stroke engines. I bought it back knowing full well it is in need of serious attention, as a project of sorts.

Here's the story. Put a new battery in last week after I towed it to my dock. Put it on the lift and tried to start it. It doesn't turn over. Starter spins and engages but drive shaft only moves about an inch. Ugh. Something is siezed I suppose. I pulled plugs which look "fine" and tried again and doesn't turn over. Okay, so siezed pump or engine is a key question. Will address that all in good time. A more pressing matter is a finding I came across while un-siezing the throttle body. I pulled the carbs and the intake manifold is full to the brim with oil. No water, just oil. ??!!?? I suspect the oil pump got stuck in the open mode and dumped a tankful of oil into the crankcase. So, my questions are as follows. Could all that oil keep the engine from turning over? I doubt there is much corrosion on the crank since it so well lubed! Does anyone have an idea on how to get all that oil out of the case? I can't really tip it over, so I am going to take the manifold and reeds off and see if the stuff leaks out or if I can siphon it out. May be urinating into a stiff breeze but it's worth a shot. Ideas? Many thanks in advance.

+1
    Yes, I'd bet the oil is the problem. Sometimes they will leak while being stored for a long time. I had that happen on a 750 once. Pull the spark plugs and cover with rags, then hit the starter. It will make a mess, but I bet that's the problem. Yamaha uses a pop-off valve in the oil lines to prevent this, but they still leak. The Kawasaki carbs are supposed to have valves in them, but I suspect they're leaking. Don't know if they're replaceable or not.

Thanks Steve...

At least I'm not alone.

My problem is I can't crank the engine to do as you suggest. That said do you think draining from manifold would get me some leveage to crank?

+1
    Oh, I forget you said it wouldn't crank with the plugs out. Could be the pump.

Turn the crank by hand until it stops, then try wiggling the drive coupling to determine if it's the crank or the jet pump that's causing the problem.

figured it out...

Quote Originally Posted by stve45 View Post
    Oh, I forget you said it wouldn't crank with the plugs out. Could be the pump.

Turn the crank by hand until it stops, then try wiggling the drive coupling to determine if it's the crank or the jet pump that's causing the problem.
    Jet pump is frozen tighter than a gnat's rear. I can see the issue. Clearance of impeller is close to if not zero and there are risings in the wear ring. Ugh. anybody know where to get repaired?

+1
    Corrosion takes place between the housing and the wear ring, pushing the wear ring into the impeller. Kawasaki doesn't make replacement wear rings, but there are aftermarket housing with replaceable wear rings available.

Hey, it's better than an engine overhaul!

Any suggestions on aftermarket?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    there aren't any for Kawasaki, but I do have a 900 pump sitting on the shelf......

but for right now, get the engine to run first. you can run it without the pump for about a minute as long as you don't rev it a whole lot.
    pull the driveshaft out of the pto when the pump was out and carry on with the clean up. go buy some crappy dollar store towels..about 50 of em to help sop up the mes that is going to happen. easier actually to flip the ski upside down if you can. makes containment of all the oil easier.

you also will need a box of plugs, a couple of cans of brake cleaner and an air compressor..

absolutely rates as my number one non-favorite task ( great money as it's a whole lot of time to clear something like that up)

DO NOT use starter fluid to help..you'll be fouling a whole lot of plugs as you try to spin her up.

a picnic ketchup bottle with gas can be used to squirt an oz in each cylinder for each start attempt..do not use more then that.

get something to contain the oil that will be spraying out of the exhaust a 30 gallon rectangular trash can works well.

good luck!..stay patient, stay safe.

Thread Information