+1

Battery / charging issue?

I just bought a 2007 seadoo Rxp, it was a little hard to wind over when I first got it, owner said it had been sitting for 6 months, so I put the battery on the charger, tried it again and started nice and easy. I took it for my 1st ride today, got about an hour up the waterway and pulled up for a break, went to start it up again and it wouldn't turn over but dash was still working, was just getting a little click from near the front fuses. Managed to get a set of jumper leads and got it started again. So decided to head home, it was beeping the whole way home with low voltage flashing up on the dash, before it stopped just before the boat ramp.
    Got it home and did a few tests.
    Battery was reading 12.6v
    Put key in and try to start, drops to 11.3v (just a clicking noise from near the fuse block when hitting the starter button)
    Then comes back up to 12.6v
    Jump it off a good battery and it starts straight away.
    Holds 14.1v from idol up to 5000rpm.
    Just wondering if it would be a safe bet that it is just the battery needs replacing or is there any other tests that maybe worthwhile checking for any other possible problems?

+1
    even good batteries don't seem to last long
    also a bad battery is hard on the charging system

New AGM battery and you'll be singing. Later, you may need a new rectifier if you have charging issues, but with a ski that age, chances are it's never had a new battery. OEM ones can last a few years if properly maintained, but on the whole you should expect to change the OEM one every couple of years. Go for an AGM, much safer, more powerful and lighter.

Yes, a billion people will come on here and tell you their OEM has lasted 10 years, of course there's always exceptions. In 95% of start failures (on an otherwise good ski) are in order;

Bad battery #1
    Starter solenoid #2
    Earth cable / loose / bad wires / connections #3
    Fuses #4
    Starter # 5

btw NEVER jump your ski to start it, you could end up destroying your ECU and that aint fun or cheap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    New AGM battery and you'll be singing. Later, you may need a new rectifier if you have charging issues, but with a ski that age, chances are it's never had a new battery. OEM ones can last a few years if properly maintained, but on the whole you should expect to change the OEM one every couple of years. Go for an AGM, much safer, more powerful and lighter.

Yes, a billion people will come on here and tell you their OEM has lasted 10 years, of course there's always exceptions. In 95% of start failures (on an otherwise good ski) are in order;

Bad battery #1
    Starter solenoid #2
    Earth cable / loose / bad wires / connections #3
    Fuses #4
    Starter # 5

btw NEVER jump your ski to start it, you could end up destroying your ECU and that aint fun or cheap.
    Cheers for that, the previous owner said the battery was only a year old, but has been sitting for a lot of that time, guessing the battery didn't like it.
    I did use a surge protected jumper lead set, I wasn't going to swim the ski back 45km, so we made do with jumping it, no one was open on a Sunday to get a new battery from.

A much braver man than me. Secondhand ski, limited history, trouble starting and first trip 45kms - wow.

I know my ski inside out, but I just replaced the fuel pump and know the work I did was perfect. But still, first time out I'll circle the dock for 10 mins, then circle within 500mtrs to get the revs up, only then will I feel safe to ride out.

These skis, at the best of times are tempremental. I ride offshore lots and it's a lonely place out there when the engine stops.

Ride safe.

6. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tornado34 View Post
    New AGM battery and you'll be singing.

... Go for an AGM, much safer, more powerful and lighter.

I very much like AGM batteries and frequently recommend them. AGM batteries are simply a much better battery technology that the old-school liquid lead-acid type. My own preference is for the factory sealed versions, in particular the East-Penn Deka manufactured product.

AGM batteries are not much different in weight that the same sized lead-acid battery, in my experience.

The new generations of Lithium type batteries, those are lighter weight.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    on a side note you can reduce the jumpstarting risk by letting the jumped ( whatever) run for a few minutes to bring the battery charge up a bit.

The danger of jumping isn't actually the jump itself ( unless the donor battery is connected to a running engine), but the sudden shock the voltage regulator gets when it has to go from minimal to 125% of charge rate when you pull off the donor cables.

the far safer method is to disconnect the problem battery, jump it, let it charge for ten minutes, remove the jumper cables and reconnect the battery.

Quite a few battery problems are associated with a single defective cell which ramps up the battery resistance to the point where it can't deliver enough current.

for the curious..

google

"surface charge"

and at least deka AGM batteries are a bit heavier then their lead acid counterparts.

one of my sells for a deka is the additional material it contains compared to say a "neverstart" big box store battery.

Also check the 2 30 amp fuses, mine were making a bad connection and caused a similar problem

+1
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Looks like a nice new AGm battery for me this week, and try again for another ride next weekend. A friend that I will be riding with says he replaces his battery every year even if he thinks it's still in good condition. I guess a $100 odd dollars is not a bad investment a year for a bit better piece of mind. I was planning on doing a dual battery system to run a fish finder ect for some fishing in the colder months, maybe handy using a controller with a jump mode for those situations.

11. +1 by:

Thread Information