94 wave blaster lacks power

Gents,
    i have a 94 blaster that I bought and can't figure out why it lacks power. It cranks and idles fine, but when I hit the gas 2 things happen: first, it hiccups when I give it full throttle out of the hole (accelerates momentarily, then slows, then starts to accelerate again). Next, it lacks top end speed (doesn't sound like it gets to a high enough rpm compared to my other blaster). It also seems to minimally fluctuate rpm on the top end as well. When I turn, it can't keep speed or high rpm. I recently changed the drive shaft seal, put a new intake scoop and new impeller / housing on it. I also replaced fuel, fuel filter, spark plugs, and throttle cable. Both cylinders have 160 compression and engine is not running hot. Water has cooled off due to winter, probably about 72 degrees. Finally, the fuel tank doesn't seem to have any vacuum (when I open the fuel cap it doesn't make the decompressing whooshing sound. I've adjusted high and low end carb controls with no luck. I've also replaced the check valve above the fuel tank. Any ideas?

+1
    Hey there..

First things first, Welcome to the forum..

From your description..
    when I hit the gas 2 things happen: first, it hiccups when I give it full throttle out of the hole accelerates momentarily, then slows, then starts to accelerate again
    - You are "LEAN" on the jetting (low circuit.. or see below)

--

Your next statement..
    Next, it lacks top end speed (doesn't sound like it gets to a high enough rpm compared to my other blaster).
    - You again could very well be lean on the high circuit. (could be rich, not allowing it to rev out (I think unlikely though.. again see below)

--

These are all good items to replace to try and eliminate the problem.
    I also replaced fuel, fuel filter, spark plugs, and throttle cable.
    I've also replaced the check valve above the fuel tank.
    - Is the tank now building/holding pressure.?
    If it isn't you want to check the gas tank cap gasket, these can/do perish and leak.!

More than anything, from you're description of the problem's I would strongly suggest you rebuild the carb.
    - before you stick a piston..

I believe all of your issues are from fuel starvation.!!
    - I wouldn't be surprised if the little bucket filter inside the fuel pump is full of crap.!

FINALLY..
    Is this blaster all stock or has it been modified in any way.?
    - head.? pipe.? reeds? ported.? etc etc..

Thanks for the response and the welcome. The ski doesn't have an aftermarket pipe but does have a riva air cleaner (maybe a carb as well?) and Im guessing based on the compression that they probably bored out the pistons. Rebuilding the carb sounds like a good plan, we were starting to consider that....if this doesn't fix it Ill be out of ideas!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if the replacement fuel filter is an automotive paper type, ditch it quick for a metal mesh or plastic mesh type filters. Paper filters have no place on a pwc due to the higher humidity present in that environment.

Thread Information