Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Problem with 94 Wave Raider

This is my buddy's ski. We recently went through the carbs and cleaned them out. They were actually pretty clean. We changed all his fuel lines and also his fuel filter. It ran great on the trailer. Would rev to 7K. Got it in the water yesterday and it would rev past about 3.5K. We tried disconnecting the overheat sensor and still would not rev up past 3.5. We loaded up on the trailer and it would rev normally to 7K again. My first thought is his impeller may be worn. If the impeller is not slicing through the water properly, it could slow down the drive shaft and keep the engine from revving up to speed under load.

Does this sound right? Any other thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

+1
    Have you checked the skis compression??? May have low compression on a hole. Did you boil out your carbs when you cleaned them and install new kits??

Quote Originally Posted by Marineking View Post
    Have you checked the skis compression??? May have low compression on a hole. Did you boil out your carbs when you cleaned them and install new kits??
    No, we didn't put new kits. The carbs components were in really good condition and they were very clean. His issue now does not act like a fuel problem. Ski will keep running and does not bog or anything. It will keep running and seems to run fine but just won't go over 3K or so.

+1
    Check compression......

+1
    inspect the waterpipe/exhaust for blockage. I had a similar problem this season, ended up being an old mouse house in my water box.
    revs on land(dry, not on water..wet muck blocked exit.)

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by spx787 View Post
    This is my buddy's ski. We recently went through the carbs and cleaned them out. They were actually pretty clean. We changed all his fuel lines and also his fuel filter. It ran great on the trailer. Would rev to 7K. Got it in the water yesterday and it would rev past about 3.5K. We tried disconnecting the overheat sensor and still would not rev up past 3.5. We loaded up on the trailer and it would rev normally to 7K again. My first thought is his impeller may be worn. If the impeller is not slicing through the water properly, it could slow down the drive shaft and keep the engine from revving up to speed under load.

Does this sound right? Any other thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

your first thought is reversed..a pump problem will not put a load on the engine..and if anything a really bad pump will let an engine rev up just as freely as it does on a trailer.

If the carbs were clean..was this problem present BEFORE you did the work?

since you eliminated the overheat limp mode I'd be investigating fuel flow, as that issue will allow an engine to rev freely with no load, yet not pull enough gas at revs to produce the power needed to push the ski in water.

did you clean the little filters Inside the carbs?..these are often missed by folks that aren't aware of their existence.

pull the return line stick the end into a container and start the engine ( be aware that a good amount of gas is going to be flowing..so be ready on the kill switch)

if the fuel system is clear, you'll get a good steady flow of fuel from that line..that tells you the tank pickup is clear and the fuel pump is performing.

my bet is clogged internal filters.

snakeoil will not correct this problem.

Yes, I am very familiar with mikuni carbs because of my Sea Doo. The internal filters were nice and clean. When my ski had mucked up fuel system, the ski would bog down on me. His isn't bogging at all.

We will do a compression check ASAP (hopefully this evening) and I will report back. I told him the first thing we need to rule out is a worn out top end. Thanks for the help so far!

Ok, mag cylinder 120psi and pto cylinder 112psi. Fuel return has steady flow and both plug wires tested good with inline spark tester.

Used the same loaner gauge from autozone and checked my compression on my Seadoo SPX (which runs like a beast!) and got 120psi on each cylinder. It's supposed to be 145-150 so I'm thinking the gauge is off.

If that's the case, what other avenues can we explore in terms of troubleshooting the WaveRaider????

+1
    Dude,

You have to have an accurate gauge!. The gauge that you used was consistent on your boat, but to the low side. Following that logic, it should be low on the Raider. The real question is how low is the compression on the PTO cylinder. You have to find someone with a more accurate gauge, and if you find that there is a difference of about 10 psig between the two cylinders, then it would be time to pull the head to inspect the cylinder in question. It may be time to replace the piston(s) and rings, and maybe even hone out the cylinder, especially if that Raider has a lot of hours on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information