Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1992 XP Restoration or Custom???

hey guys, just picked up my first sea-doo and really looking forward to it. Here are some pics of its current condition.

I have been looking online, and I'm looking for opinions on what to do with this thing. I'd like to go custom, and since the hull is white, go with a white and black combo. White hull, black seat and all other plastics painted black, custom handle bars and so on. Or should I just look at restoring using new factory decals and so on? I am not sure about the state of the engine at the moment, battery is no good and previous owner claims the starter is bad. Its currently stored for the winter and already under snow, so nothing can be done with until the spring time so I have the winter time to order what I need/want.

The yellow 587 suggests that it might be a 91. The last two digits of the VIN will tell the year. It is also possible that the engine was replaced with a earlier model.

I would get the fuel system redone if the compression is OK. You can make them look pretty good just cleaning them up and putting a new seat cover on with new foot turf. I like the old purple myself but I understand it's not for everybody.

+1
    That yellow motor is not what originally came in that 1992 XP. This XP (as all '92-up) models were white motors with improved flywheel cover. This XP also came with twin 38mm.

If this were my ski, I'd convert to 720. I don't have many good memories with the old boat anchor...melt big-end crank bearings 580's.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Be Proud of it. give it a new life, enjoy! good ole fun

Ya when I picked it up and saw the yellow engine I had 2 thoughts in my head. First thing is its actually a 92, but the original engine blew and someone put in an older yellow engine (which I hope hasn't happened). Or, its actually a 91 XP which I looked up had almost the exact same hull design and decals. I live in Central Ontario, in Canada, and finding spare motors is actually not that easy. I would like to see if I can find a 720 and squeeze that bad boy into the lightweight hull.

I also have access to CNC machines, and would like to see if I can make my own sponsons for it. I have ridden older machines before and I don't like how they slide when you turn. Or, would it just be better for me to grab some sponsons from a mid 90's doo off ebay for like 20$-30$.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by miskis View Post
    I would like to see if I can find a 720 and squeeze that bad boy into the lightweight hull.
    I've got a complete 720 Factory Pipe if you ever need. Have pumps, props, dialed-in carbs for that pipe too...

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    i have a set of sponsons cheap PM me

I totally agree about the handling. On the one in my profile pic I made sponsons out of an old sign that was like a plastic plywood. I didn't make any backing plates, just flush with the hull and only coming down past the hull line about an inch on either side. It worked great to get that thing tracking right.

Before that I bought YAS ones off ebay for $20. They pushed the nose down real bad so be careful of that. I realize it would have probably been OK if I had nailed the location better but I didn't want to drill more holes.

Shoot I guess it's my profile pic in the other forums. It was a 92XP though.

Thanks for the responses guys, your feedback is appreciated. First things first for me, one the spring comes around and I can get the Doo out of storage I'll work on rebuilding the starter and get her turning over and seeing if she will fire. If not, Looks like I'll have some work to be done.

Anyone know if a 720 factory pipe fits in a 92 with 720 swap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information