Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

*urgent* 2000 yamaha 1200 worth it?

So i can get a 2000 yamaha 1200 with the engine taken out and taken apart.

700 asking price, no trailer. 70 hours on it, everything else looks good

i asked what was wrong, he said only one cylinder was affected "it was overheated and partially melted. that caused the cylinder and crank failure. Cylinder wall is not scored, needs to be cleaned with muriatic acid."

now im not a crazy mechanic by any means, im working on getting some pictures.

Would it be worth it? i have the ability to put the engine back together but that's about it, other than that i would need to take it to a shop.

i was doing some quick math on possibilities. full top end *all 3 pistons* rebuild kit 300..new cylinder sleeve 80...crankshaft if its too damaged would be at least 250 according to ebay.

its a 2 stroke it couldn't be that hard of A fix

Since no one has any opinions, so here's some pics

+1
    Go for it. $700 sounds good. I paid $800 for my '01 XLT1200 in pieces. Rebuilt it over the winter. Been a great, trouble-free ski for three summers now.
    Try to get some assurances that every bolt, clamp, and screw is there. Thankfully, I was not missing a single one.
    All the help you need is here on the Hulk.

I offered him 600 but I'll probably pay 700 if I have to. I'll have to get a Trailer too

Here are some pics of the burned piston

+1
    I know la sleeve sells sleeves for everything but you don't want sleeve these cylinders as they are nikasil plated and to bore it out and press a sleeve in (then port match) is not cost effective or recommended. Nikasil is a hard plating and muratic acid will eat the pieces of aluminum (piston) that may be stuck to the bore....sometimes the bores clean up good enough to reuse sometimes not, if not you May want to look into the SBT exchange program.
    You will want to add to your figures carburator rebuild kits (don't cheap out, go OEM), also Need to figure out why the middle cylinder failed (dirty carb/oil line popped off/mechanical failure/etc..) or it may happen again. Also being mechanic said it needs crank, make sure the cases are not busted or cracked as sometimes when one lets loose it hits the case and makes a hole or cracks the case.

Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    I know la sleeve sells sleeves for everything but you don't want sleeve these cylinders as they are nikasil plated and to bore it out and press a sleeve in (then port match) is not cost effective or recommended. Nikasil is a hard plating and muratic acid will eat the pieces of aluminum (piston) that may be stuck to the bore....sometimes the bores clean up good enough to reuse sometimes not, if not you May want to look into the SBT exchange program.
    You will want to add to your figures carburator rebuild kits (don't cheap out, go OEM), also Need to figure out why the middle cylinder failed (dirty carb/oil line popped off/mechanical failure/etc..) or it may happen again. Also being mechanic said it needs crank, make sure the cases are not busted or cracked as sometimes when one lets loose it hits the case and makes a hole or cracks the case.
    how much would rebuild kits for the carbs cost. Is there anyone repairs cranks on here? a good crank on ebay seems to be 300+ actually. he said the cases are good. Ive been trying to post picture on here but they keep getting blocked for whatever reason.

Also i would assume that it was/is a dirty carb/ loose oil line. He had it running with the remaining 2 pistons, then he tore the engine down.

+1
    $700 is a great deal, I paid over $1000 for my 2001 that was in worst shape. I have 1200 cylinders and pistons in great shape if you need to replace your damage one. send me a pm if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rxpvic View Post
    $700 is a great deal, I paid over $1000 for my 2001 that was in worst shape. I have 1200 cylinders and pistons in great shape if you need to replace your damage one. send me a pm if you are interested.
    i most likely will. Ill get intouch with you after i actually pick it up.

Im actually getting it for 650. ill just get a cheapo $300 trailer for it haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information