Thread: Coil Leads

Question Coil Leads

Hi, the three coil leads on the MSX140 do they need to be a Marine type or can the equivalent automotive ones be used???? Ie car leads.
    Not knowing the past, what's been replaced ect Just going over the old girl and replacing everything that could give me trouble.

Sorry, did ring the Marine Dealer and they weren't sure.

Thanks guys/girls Paul

Banned User
    +1
    Pretty sure you can get them through Polaris yet.

Hi. BryanP, thanks for the reply. I have no Dealer in our area, Polaris PWC is very limited in Australia, one in Brisbane mainly doing only "wheeled items" and not really PWC. Struggling with parts, had to eBay some gear from the US yesterday.
    I would, to keep the $$$ down, either go through a. Marine Dealer if that is the only way to match them or if they are car compatible marry them up down the road at the auto place.

Cheers.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by weiry View Post
    Hi, the three coil leads on the MSX140 do they need to be a Marine type or can the equivalent automotive ones be used???? Ie car leads.
    Not knowing the past, what's been replaced ect Just going over the old girl and replacing everything that could give me trouble.

Sorry, did ring the Marine Dealer and they weren't sure.

Thanks guys/girls Paul
    Measure the ohms on the exiting wires. Use that to figure out what local equivalents could be used.

The key is to keep the resistance very close to OEM spec. And of course have the wire ends and covers properly mate with and seal to the ignition coil post and spark plug.

Unlike a typical ignition, the Ficht system is multi-strike. The EMM actually fires the ignition coil several times for a single power stroke, in very rapid succession. Hence the need for the ignition wires to be electrically identical to OEM spec.

This is also why the spark plug design is so critical, only can use the specified NGK PZFR6H spark plugs. Anything else messes up the ignition pulsing and the engine runs poorly.

Thanks all for your reply's, not really having a good lead to start with I'll check the three and come up with the best reading as a start.
    Might have been a poor choice of Ski for local (Australian) support/parts, bloody parts for a start are either hard to get ie wait or costly. Still trying to locate an air cleaner for the old girl.
    Again I'd rather err on caution and start with all new gear than having something small fail out on the bay with the wife on the back.......

Once again fellas thanks for your help...it is appreciated.

Stay safe, Paul.

Banned User
    +1
    I have a brand new lead i can test

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by weiry View Post
    ... trying to locate an air cleaner for the old girl.
    Again I'd rather err on caution and start with all new gear than having something small fail out on the bay with the wife on the back........
    Find a riding buddy with another ski or boat, so you have a tow back if needed. At least for the first few test rides. I almost never go out with just one watercraft (me).

Also read up on the water feed hose that should be clamped/pinched closed before towing. I have installed an inline shut-off valve on mine to make it quick and simple to prepare to be towed, should the need arise. IIRC Antelco is an Austrailian company that makes the valves.

You can use the flame arrestor from almost any Polaris model with a three cylinder red engine, carburetor or fuel injected.

Thanks Bryan that would be great, again it will give me something to start with and also check the ones already on it. Pretty lucky here K447 if you do a Google Earth at the end of Sydney Airport the landing strips that head out over the ocean you'll see a large bay, any given day in good weather there would be 30+ skis, kite surfers boaties in the area also looking at joining a club.
    The last owner has already plumbed in a open/shut tap in the water feed line, must admit had to check here to work out what it was as it looked out of place.
    Ahhhhh yes not an A/cleaner the flame arrestor.
    Must admit guys looking forward to getting her wet, the wife and I come over to America every year (since 2008 ) the last three around FL from Orlando to Key West this Sept we cruised out of FT L to Cozemel ect and hired a ski in Labadee, good times.
    Last edited by weiry; 11-19-2014 at 03:05 AM.

Thread Information