Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Untapped speed

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1

Untapped speed

Since I now own a R12X I have been browsing all of the internet's Honda PWC forums.

Why hasn't anyone looked into getting more speed out of the hull instead of messing with the engine? Don't tell me just a ride plate mod or a wedge is all you got.

(EG. Kerry and many others and the GPR.)

There are also several guys that get 3+ mph out of the XLT with just hull tech.

Don't tell me it isn't in there, because I don't believe it.

I am going looking myself.

+1
    My guess is due to the lack of racers and a large enough group wanting to go crazy speeds on a Honda, no research was done.
    Maybe it was done and we just haven't seen it??

I'm currently blueprinting my NEW Honda hull. The gell coat has alot of ripples in it. I blueprinted my old Honda and gained about 1.5mph. It's hard to gain alot because Honda is nose heavy so you HAVE to have ride plate mod as well as wedge.

+1
    Just my take on why the Honda turbo is slower and harder to get high speed out of than GPRs, RXPs, etc. One - engine speed, the Hondas limit engine rpms quite low ... the GPR pumps/engines are turning 7200 on up, the RXPs 8100 on up. Altho the Honda engine may run forever, it seems that the jet pumps and impellers need to be turned 7000 - 8000+ rpm to really get good speed. Two - hull, ride plate, intake grate/cavity size - obviously not optimal from the factory and not enough aftermarket support with really good 'go-fast' parts. Three - pump design and impeller choices, not enough choices that help top speed. IMO, if the Honda engine could be turned 7000+ rpm, and there were great impeller choices, an optimal intake grate and ride plate, the boat would be much faster. It is not primarily a matter of HP, since there are some highly modded Hondas with a lot of HP (Nitro's kits), but their speed is much less than GPRs or RXPs with less HP. HP helps, but most PWC speed is in the pump/impeller and hull/intake and getting them optimized and at the right rpms, etc.

+1
    J-Me.
    With your background on the Yami's and your contacts in the Yami world, I truely believe you could be a pioneer on this ski. Most of the Honda guys are still happy with 60mph.

You ABSOLUTELY nailed it about the hull comments.

Start taking some measurements and do some comparisons to what we already know.

+1
    Which bring me to wonder why with all the money nitro has into his kits for the HP, nobody has stepped up to the plate and sent that damn hull to 3DR and get it "tweaked" for some higher speeds.
    The impeller can be improved through Dave at Impros without too much trouble, they should be able to take some bending to match the engine RPM's/HP.
    The pump I guess is what would scare me the most in terms of speed. If you can't get it in, you sure as hell aren't getting it out.
    I still have a very hard time believing somebody didn't step up and have Skat build a pump with some impellers, especially when they first hit the market.
    I surely understand there is no real demand anymore BUT man it just bugs me nobody did an all out Honda somewhere along the line.

+1
    Well Al. You have a track record of betting on the DYING horse. So if you are really looking into the Honda, it very well could be the end!

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    I still have a very hard time believing somebody didn't step up and have Skat build a pump with some impellers, especially when they first hit the market.
    Skat did do R&D on the Honda but could not find anymore speed than the stock pump. They abandoned the project fearing No Sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Most of the Honda guys are still happy with 60mph.
    I'm really starting not to like your Honda owner Bashing . None of us are happy with the lack of aftermarket parts. We certainly are not happy with 60mph. We just love the feel, smoothness, the Look and the quality of the Honda. We know the RXP is way faster and easier to make go fast. I've ridden several of them. To me it feels poorly put together.

Most of the Yamaha guys and Seadoo guys are talking performance mods 24/7 while we don't see much thinking going on the Honda side. I think thats where he got his conclusion.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information