2000 carb'd genesis oil leak in hull and fresh gas smell

I have read some posts about oil in hull and I think I need to check my oil tank vent and also look into the line going to the pump. The oil level sender is not leaking. I fixed it when I first bought it.. I cut a small piece of rubber gasket material and wrapped it around the rubber plug and pushed it back down in the tank which took quite a bit of pressure. I did this on the 97 sltx when I first got it as well and no leaks in three years. I have been storing it (the genesis) with the nose up fairly high and full oil and gas tanks. It has been a couple weeks but the gas smell is very strong still just like fresh gas smell but the bilge just seems to have oil in it which leaks out the starboard side drain plug onto the ground. Its possible it could have gas mixed in with it buts its very blue in color. I have all the original grey fuel lines and two position selector switch and I assume original clear oil tank line going to the pump. Its probably time to replace it all. I first thought the high bow storage position caused gas and oil to leak out the carb's but after two weeks and cleaning out the bilge a couple of times with absorbent pig mat I think I have another problem. I store the 97 sltx in the same position and have never had any problems and it has all the original lines. Any one have any suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the fuel selector valve turned off?

yes the fuel selector is off. I know you have posted about changing the selector valve. I don't feel any fresh gas on the bottom of the carb's but I really have not gave it a thorough looking.

Nice day here in today near 45 degrees. Pulled the cover off an seat off and saw frost on the lines near the sending unit. Watched closely and there was a steady drip of gas comming out of the vent. Keep in mind the tank was very full and the nose up. I pulled the vent line off and used my mity vac suction tool and pulled out about a half gallon of gas. The grey lines were very stiff at the connection point but no green goo. I relocated the vent a little higher up and used some new blue fuel line. I know I need to replace all the line and I probably will this winter. I'm thinking now that it may not be leaking oil and that the blue color was probably gas mixed with the old oil that has been spilled in the hull over the years out of the oil tank sending unit before I bought it and fixed it. It should have a good clean hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kandn View Post
    Nice day here in today near 45 degrees. Pulled the cover off an seat off and saw frost on the lines near the sending unit. Watched closely and there was a steady drip of gas comming out of the vent. Keep in mind the tank was very full and the nose up. I pulled the vent line off and used my mity vac suction tool and pulled out about a half gallon of gas. The grey lines were very stiff at the connection point but no green goo.

... the blue color was probably gas mixed with the old oil that has been spilled in the hull over the years out of the oil tank sending unit before I bought it and fixed it. It should have a good clean hull.
    My understanding.

The green goo, if it happens, generally occurs where the fuel hose is clamped onto metal fuel fittings. The combination of metal, hose, fuel and time creates the goop, which then can move through the fuel system and clog up the carbs and filters.

Ethanol gasoline blends may aggravate the green goo creation or may release the already existing stuff that then moves through the fuel system.

A clean hull really helps in a bunch of ways. It is much nicer to work inside a clean hull. When tools or parts are dropped, it isn't so unpleasant to fetch them from under the engine. When there is a leak it can be easier to tell where it is coming from.

And when you get together with other PWC enthusiasts, you are not embarrassed to lift the seat off

Just looked in the hull again and while the gas smell was not as strong there was oil in the back bilge area. I looked up at the oil tank vent and saw oil dripping out. Once again the combined high nose up storage position and full tank have led to a mess. I will drain some oil out and place the vent high up like some of your posts have shown. Hopefully this will fix it for now.

Thread Information