Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Adding Boat Buckle Mini - No Drilling Bolt On - To Triton LT Series Or Other Trailer

The Boat Buckle is by far the best and smoothness way to strap your ski.

They make a larger version but I went with the mini which is much better suited for skis.

The full size is pretty big and meant for boats but has the option to come in stainless. The mini is only galvanized. No issues for me since Im a freshwater rider.

I used the Boat Buckle universal adapter and mounted it in the Tritons existing hook points.

Here are the shots.

eTrailer.com had the best price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1438.jpg 
Views:	1146 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	347178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1439.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	347179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1440.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	347180

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by superjetpilot View Post
    ... I went with the mini which is much better suited for skis...

I used the Boat Buckle universal adapter and mounted it in the Tritons existing hook points...

... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1440.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	347180
    Looks like the strap is pressing on a plastic piece at the rear of the hull.

Perhaps the winch tower on the trailer could be moved forward so the hull would be better positioned over the rear bunk ends and the rear hold down straps won't be pressing on the hull plastic parts.

Drilling holes in the frame cross members isn't a horrible thing. Are there are drain holes from the factory in the bottom of that curved cross member?

+1
    I love mine! Wish I had bought these long ago as it would have kept me from storing the damn straps everytime I launched!

+1
    Yes I purposely put it over the trim tab. It rather it go over that then rub on my haul. It is solid as a rock and they would have had to know there almost no other way to do when they made those tabs extend.

Yes they have a small drain hole in the middle of the cross member and two large holes on each side maybe to push out the tail lamps from?

If I move the winch tower forward then I have to see if my cargo rack would still work. Then my tongue weight will be to much. I would also need to get longer bunks as well.

+1
    ... If I move the winch tower forward then I have to see if my cargo rack would still work.

Then my tongue weight will be too much.

I would also need to get longer bunks as well.
    How much tongue weight do you consider to be too much?

Longer bunks? How long are the stock bunks on that model of Triton?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... If I move the winch tower forward then I have to see if my cargo rack would still work.

Bunk are 5' long. The hull extends out 2" past the bunk which is accessible. Tongue weight is currently 120lbs plus then add 145lbs with cargo basket and full fuel tank. It sits behind the tongue but will be close to 220lbs TW I would think? I would still need to add for a spare tire depending on where I mount it and fuel in the ski at full. I'm think the weight will be 250-275lbs once its all counted.

I would like to be as close as I can to 200lbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Bunk are 5' long. The hull extends out 2" past the bunk which is accessible. Tongue weight is currently 120lbs plus then add 145lbs with cargo basket and full fuel tank. It sits behind the tongue but will be close to 220lbs TW I would think? I would still need to add for a spare tire depending on where I mount it and fuel in the ski at full. I'm thinkIMG the weight will be 250-275lbs once its all counted.

I would like to be as close as I can to 200lbs.
    Sounds like perhaps you need to upgrade to the Triton Elite model, which (as I recall) has a longer frame and tongue and is overall a very nice trailer.

The longer the full width section of the trailer, the more options you have for adding and configuring.

Or perhaps add a Fulton tongue hinge and extend the tongue a couple of feet. Made a big difference on my dual Triton in terms of how much gear I could bolt to the frame. Tongue weight at the ball goes down as the tongue gets longer.

That said, the tongue itself is not intended to be a load carrying support. Heavy bolted on stuff really should be near or even partially behind the frame Y where there is more metal and more frame stiffness.

+1
    The Elite is hard to find. Triton discontinued the single due to slow sales.

The Fulton is not recomneded on the aluminum as you already know and lengthening it will add more stress but since you have tested it and it works that's a plus.

Since the Fulton is steal and looks heavy. Adding a cargo basket on top will add more stress and weight to the beam.

So it's a toss up but for now this seems to be the best option with what I have.

+1

The Fulton is not recomneded on the aluminum as you already know and lengthening it will add more stress but since you have tested it and it works that's a plus.

Since the Fulton is steal and looks heavy...
    The Fulton hinge itself is plated steel. It has some heft but not enough to be a worry, in terms of added weight.

Fulton only provides strength and weight ratings for the hinge when used with a steel trailer frame. The rated weight limits for the hinge and various tongue extension lengths are quite high, indicating that the hinge itself is very strong.

When used with a light weight aluminum trailer the Fulton hinge and its sixteen mounting bolts will be lightly stressed.

Since my fully loaded aluminum Triton trailer is a fraction of the weight that the hinge (and those 16 mounting bolts) are rated to handle (with a steel tongue), I felt it was a reasonable solution, even at the highest stress points where the tongue sections join the hinge.

I have had no issues with tongue flex or loosening of the bolts since my Fulton hinge kit was installed several years ago. Aluminum has less strength than steel, but the stresses are also lower since my trailer is not that heavy.

My fully loaded Triton Elite double weighs a little under 2000 pounds normally (two watercraft with full fuel, trailer box with gear, spare tire and mount).

I have carried dual fuel caddies (full) and a full size hitch haul alongside the frame Y (with a load of extra gear inside) on some trips, bringing the total loaded trailer weight well above one ton. No issues.

Triton Elite singles can be hard to find, but look long enough and one should turn up. Might have to buy it with a ski on top, then swap the trailers and resell the combo to the next guy
    Last edited by K447; 11-22-2014 at 04:00 PM.

+1
    Yes I purposely put it over the trim tab. It rather it go over that then rub on my hull.

It is solid as a rock and they would have had to know there almost no other way to do when they made those tabs extend...
    I somehow doubt that the manufacturer of the watercraft expected the hold down straps to press on the plastic hull tabs. If the trailer was longer or had different tie down points the straps would angle differently.

Such a wide variety of trailers are used for watercraft, the only trailer I would expect that was fully tested would be the trailer(s) sold by or through the PWC manufacturer. PWC dealers often seem to chose trailers based on their cost and profit margin, not so much on good fit or even appropriate size. Obviously the trailer must meet a minimum weight rating to hold the hull, but correct fit is a different question.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information