Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing fun

Brewmaster Mike

Winterizing fun

So, I successfully turned what should have been a 1/2 hour job into a 3 hour workout. Started out pretty easy, filled the tank with gas/stabilizer, ran for 10 minutes or so, sucked out every last drop of oil in about 5 minutes, replaced the filter and put in new oil, pulled the injector bar off to fog the engine....fogged it, slide the injectors back in, and when bolting the bar back down....CRAP....dropped one of the bolts into the abyss beneath the motor. I tried reaching from every possible direction, got my arms stuck pretty good twice, and got sufficiently bruised and bloodied up on the process. Finally pulled out my shop vac, crammed a some 5/8" vinyl hose in the end of it, and just started fishing....about 2 to 2-1/2 hours later, finally sucked it up.

Lake Lion
    +1
    I used a magnet on a gooseneck. Like those mechanical finger things. They have them at Dollar stores and Harbor Freight. Found the bolt in 15 seconds.

Banned User
    +1
    I would have just gone to the hardware store and bought another bolt.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbutta View Post
    I used a magnet on a gooseneck. Like those mechanical finger things. They have them at Dollar stores and Harbor Freight. Found the bolt in 15 seconds.
    A magnet works? The bolts arent stainless?

5. +1 by:

+1
    Someone here turned me onto a trick when retrieving dropped hardware. Just drop the trailer tongue down. If low enough it'll roll forward stopping at fuel tank.

+1
    I have a clamp or 2 down there.... had a needle nose plyers down there and actually forgot they were down there. Last ride they slid forward thankfully. I would have drive myself nuts trying to find them lol. Clamps are still in there tho
    Last edited by LugNutLS1; 11-22-2014 at 07:19 PM.

+1
    Just leave it next time. After 10 mins of riding that bolt will be in the bilge and you can grab it easy.

9. +1 by:

Ale

+1
    When I was doing the ribbon mod I drop two into the Abyss and used a flexible grabby hook with a strong magnet taped ( strongly) to the end. The bolts maybe stainless steel and but there is still a ferrous component to them ( steel ) It may not be as ferrous as you standard bolts but they are ferrous. Anyways -- I just dragged the device underneath and like one of the other posts -- 15 seconds... and got it.

sc2

Brewmaster Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by moparman70 View Post
    When I was doing the ribbon mod I drop two into the Abyss and used a flexible grabby hook with a strong magnet taped ( strongly) to the end. The bolts maybe stainless steel and but there is still a ferrous component to them ( steel ) It may not be as ferrous as you standard bolts but they are ferrous. Anyways -- I just dragged the device underneath and like one of the other posts -- 15 seconds... and got it.

sc2
    I thought about letting it be and just buying another bolt.....but it would drive me nuts. Next time I'll stuff a towel under that area so at least I have a better chance at catching it in view.

+1
    Hey thats a good idea ... I dropped a long exhaust screw under my engine. I will try that and see if it will roll forward

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information