Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Custom cold air intake for a Speedster 150

Alright kids, here it is. I used 4" simi-rigid dryer hose off the port air vent into a "Y" adapter, with one side going into the stock air box, and the other side going into a box I built around the stainless steel filter going into the supercharger. I sealed it all with heat-tolerant ducting tape.

Upon "field" testing, I haven't gained anything on the top end, still an average of 57.7 @ 8100rpms. I am starting to believe the rumors that the computer starts to slow timing before the 8200 rev limiter, which would mean nothing will do anything until a repitch.

Acceleration is absolutely insane, but it was pretty much that way after the impeller & SS wear ring swap, so it is difficult to guage the improvement. I get to "5-Mississippi" about the time the GPS is reading 55mph. Next time I go out, I'll configure the stopwatch and speed functions together to know just how fast I'm accelerating.

The RIGHT way to do this is to move the bilge fan to the port side, and use the starboard side to suck your fresh air. That would greatly reduce the length of hoses required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cold Air 1.JPG 
Views:	2955 
Size:	357.7 KB 
ID:	21310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cold Air 2.JPG 
Views:	2521 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	21311  

+1
    Your are correct. This is the only instance I know of where its better to have a shorter hose.

VX1-----I like the idea. I was thinking of the dryer hose idea myself, but never thought about building a box around the filter.

After you do some more time trials you have to let us know if there is any improvement from the prior air intake system you had.

Mike

Another place to get fresh air from, which may benefit the n/a guys a bit more is to remove one of the speakers and run piping up to there to get fresh moving air, and possibly make somewhat of a ram air effect. That would be a little more akward to build for the scic since the throttle body is on the opposite end of the engine bay than the 155 model is. But its an idea.

i must say that is a very elaborate setup, you should find some way to measure the temperature in the box around the filter with the hose attached and with it disconnected to see if you are actually affecting intake air temps by much at all.

did you bypass the exhaust resonater yet? I am thinking about doing that but I havent heard of anyone doing it on the speedster, or maybe i just missed it.

that is an elaborate set up but looks a little bulky IMO. Does your bilge fan still work for venting the engine bay? Because it looks like you have the vent on each side attached to your air intake which would make me think thats going to get pretty hot in there.

Here is the intake I am going to put on mine, which is similar to yours but requires some modifications. Yes this will be more air than the motor will need but I think it'll look nice. Start with a Y connector off the throttle body, splitting that off to each side of the engine bay with a filter on each side and then run a flexible hose up to 2 new vents installed next to the factory ones.
    This kind of gives you a basic idea and of course some other parts would be needed but I think this would be extremley effective, and still provide for normal use of the bilge fan and the vent on the opposite side as well.

And then take those up to 2 new screened vents, like the flow rite ones on the 4-tecperformance site.

And again, I know this is more air than the engine can use, half of this system would be adequate for the single engine models, but I think it would add a nice touch to the engine, for when it is seen (rarely in my case)
    Last edited by venompwr2; 04-11-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Venompwr2....Sounds like a great idea. I am looking to develop an air intake system for my 05 sportster SCIC.....

Please posts pictures when you get the install done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mgurgone View Post
    Venompwr2....Sounds like a great idea. I am looking to develop an air intake system for my 05 sportster SCIC.....

Please posts pictures when you get the install done!!!
    Will do! I should be getting it out of storage next week, and then I'll start measuring everything up.

My 4" cold air intake draws air directly from outside and thats it. I moved my rectifier so that it's still in the intake where it can be cooled. I really think drawing any warm engine compartment air is detrimental to this whole process. You want cool dense air! Here are some pix

Name:	DSC03670_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	21371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03615_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	21372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03606_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	21373   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03673_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	21374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03686_400x300.shkl.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	21375  

I forgot post the components used

4" kanaflex hose
    4" flo-rite (waterproof filter screen)

Name:	14-197.gif 
Views:	263 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	21376  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information