+1

Cleaning the gas tank

I pulled my gas tank out of my 93 SL750 cause the fuel lines in the tank broke off and sat on the bottom of the tank. The guy I bought the ski from put gas in the tank without checking the lines, thus, old nasty lines sat in a group on the bottom of the tank in gas. I went and drained the nasty gas and found the lines just rotting, I broke up the group of lines with a pole and got them out. My new problem is how do I clean that nasty crap off the bottom of my tank? What can I use? I can't reach my arm in with a rag and carb cleaner and a pole can only do so much. Is there some fluid I can put in or do I need to hire someone with smaller arms to scrub?

Side note, I discovered the gas tank mfg date is 5/1996. Don't know if that matters.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What condition is the engine in?

If the engine needs to (or should) come out anyways, then might as well remove the fuel tank and clean it outside of the hull.

+1
    The ski runs, with help from the bottle. Carbs are off and are going to be rebuilt. Engine makes good compression 130-130-120. Fuel lines are done, just need to tend to cleaning the tank. If anything happens I have a spare 750 I can build up, so I'll always have a buildable engine. And the ski isn't really much, my 97 XP is my baby. I do appreciate the advise but right now I just need ideas on how to clean the inside of the tank.

+1
    a cleaner called "superclean" (purple bottle) works good on this type of gunk, put in the tank 50/50 with hot water & shake alot, rinse with very hot water, if that doesn't get it all out do it again, but get a couple pound box of 1/4" nuts & put them in the tank & shake, they will 'scrub' the bottom of the tank, rinse a couple times, this cleaner is very soapy & takes alot to rinse off.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    a cleaner called "superclean" (purple bottle) works good on this type of gunk, put in the tank 50/50 with hot water & shake alot, rinse with very hot water, if that doesn't get it all out do it again, but get a couple pound box of 1/4" nuts & put them in the tank & shake, they will 'scrub' the bottom of the tank, rinse a couple times, this cleaner is very soapy & takes alot to rinse off.
    This assumes the fuel tank is out of the hull.

He wants to get it clean with the fuel tank still in the hull.
    Edit: Apparently I missed the note about the fuel tank already being removed. Oops.
    Last edited by K447; 11-23-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Oops.

+1
    I thought the first line of his post said he pulled the gas tank out?

+1
    Yes, the tank is out of the hull. I'll try what you said, sounds silly with nuts and bolts, but make sense. I have a ton of screws, nails, nuts and bolts.

+1
    I spray a can of gumout carb cleaner in, and then push a clean rag in the hole, and use a pole / stick to push the rag around. Pour in a little fresh gas to rinse, and do it again. ( be sure to dispose of properly) I use a three finger grab tool to get the rag out. Works for me. If it is super dirty, let the carb cleaner soak for a while.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    I spray a can of gumout carb cleaner in, and then push a clean rag in the hole, and use a pole / stick to push the rag around. Pour in a little fresh gas to rinse, and do it again. ( be sure to dispose of properly) I use a three finger grab tool to get the rag out. Works for me. If it is super dirty, let the carb cleaner soak for a while.

That sounds like an awesome idea

Thread Information