Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GTX RFI Engine full of oil ?

At a customers house this morning to winterize a 2000 GTX RFI. Engine would not start and barely turn over. Removed the plugs and found the cylinders full of oil! Owner had not ran the engine since his last ride on the lake a few months ago. Since then the ski has been on a trailer in his yard. To stop water sitting in the footwells he had the front of the trailer blocked up so the trailer hitch was over three feet high. Becuase this caused the oil tank to be much higher than the engine, I wonder if oil had drained into the engine by gravity?

Could this happen? Anybody else heard of this problem?

I turned the engine over numerous times with the plugs out to pump all the oil out ( Made a hell of a mess despite my best attempts to catch the oil!) Then after drying out the plugs got it to start and run well enough to winterize. Customer is going to put the ski in his garage for the winter with the trailer level!
    Last edited by Britpilot; 11-22-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo

+1
    Somebody with more experience will weigh in but my guess is that the seals on the rotary valve driveshaft/gear are leaking. The fact that the trailer tongue was elevated had nothing to do with it as the oil tank is higher than the engine even when the boat is level.

3. +1 by:

Very common on rotary valve equipped motors. The crank seals are seeping oil into the engine. Don't store it full of oil. Take the plugs out and blow the oil out. The correct fix would be a new crank

5. +1 by:

Thanks for the info guys. As an interim meaure what about disconnecting the oil injection system and just running the engine on pre-mix?
    Anybody have any experience of doing this?

You still need oil in the rv chamber. If it leaks out, the engine is toast

+1
    What wire said, you still have to keep the tank hooked up and keep fluid in it..so might as well keep oil injection. Pinch the oil supply hose when storing until you get a chance to tear it down and reseal

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    In the past and now i have used this to add to the oil injection tank and run it for several hours for it to do its job to swell up the seals. but until then, clamp the main oil line for the meantime until next season and run it. sounds crazy but it worked. This Type is thin enough to flow in the oil injection system.. This is strictly my opinion and will use this method again when needed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stop leak.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	347284

+1
    could it be the small oil line fittings on the rotory cover? they are actually pop off valves that should pop off at 3 psi. i replaced mine as they were bad and would leak oil in the rotary cavity gravity bleeding from the oil tank.

Quote Originally Posted by jammin777 View Post
    could it be the small oil line fittings on the rotory cover? they are actually pop off valves that should pop off at 3 psi. i replaced mine as they were bad and would leak oil in the rotary cavity gravity bleeding from the oil tank.
    The crank seals are so common on older Doo's. Anything is possible, though

+1
    Fuel injectors don't like oil. They will foul. Premix is not a long term option.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information