Metal Rattling noise.

Hi guys, just curious to know what is the metal rattling sound that sounds like it comes from the jet pump/ impella area? There isn't a problem it's just I'm curious.
    You don't hear it when placed in water it's only on the trailer. My last ski had the same sound and I was watching a YouTube video on a new 2013 ski on a guy that was showing his radio install and he started his ski up and it also has this metal rattling sound.

I just wanted to know what it was that was all

thanks guys

+1

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Oh I thought the noise was normal, so doing this will stop the noise?
    What exactly does this anode thing do?

Thanks for the reply

+1
    Well, that's the first item I would check. The anode is there as a sacrificial metal for saltwater use.

+1
    Just about every Seadoo ever made Has always made this rattling sound. It's very common for the Jet pump to make some kind of weird noise when the ski is out of the water. I would check the jet pump out just to make sure that the prop is nice and tight and that there's no play between the impeller and the jet pump assembly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdelgado View Post
    Just about every Seadoo ever made Has always made this rattling sound. It's very common for the Jet pump to make some kind of weird noise when the ski is out of the water. I would check the jet pump out just to make sure that the prop is nice and tight and that there's no play between the impeller and the jet pump assembly.
    Agreed.....but check the anode bolt first. No disassembly is needed to do this simple task.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdelgado View Post
    oh yeah mate, everything seems nice and tight etc I was just curious to know what is making the sound. I guessed it was normal. Is it the jet pump itself that makes the noise then?

+1
    The noise you are hearing is the drive shaft and impeller clanking together. With the key off, lie on your back and reach into the tunnel area and move the impeller and or drive shaft back and forth quickly and you should hear the same metal on metal clanking sound. You obviously don't hear this when in the water.

As Bob said, the anode could also be loose and or the pump bearings can make a lot of noise if they are shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    The noise you are hearing is the drive shaft and impeller clanking together. With the key off, lie on your back and reach into the tunnel area and move the impeller and or drive shaft back and forth quickly and you should hear the same metal on metal clanking sound. You obviously don't hear this when in the water.

As Bob said, the anode could also be loose and or the pump bearings can make a lot of noise if they are shot.
    oh yeah sweet dude I'll check over a few things then and try that to make sure it's the same noises.
    I think all is fine though as its not overly noisey it's just about the same as what I've heard on my last ski and others.

I was just curious to know what it as exactly, but it won't hurt to try and check s few things when I come to winterise it this weekend

thanks guys thats cleared up a few things

Thread Information