Thread: Water Box

Water Box

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the water box on the WR500s ? Is it just to quite the exhaust and can it be removed?

+1
    It is to quiet and cool the exhaust. There will be no performance gain removing it from the system on a WR500

Thank you for responding, Mine exploded and I was just wondering if I can just lose it? I have three parts machines though.

+1
    Common on older Yamahas when they backfire. If I remember correctly you can move the electronics box aside and pull the waterbox right out.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Common on older Yamahas when they backfire. If I remember correctly you can move the electronics box aside and pull the waterbox right out.
    Well not so fast, I had to remove the fuel tank also, and after all that I found that the water box bolts in unlike my parts machine that straps in. This all started when the CDI box started cutting on and off. So for a update this is what I did. After all the work to get the water box out I just piped the exhaust out the rear without the box. Replaced the CDI box and fired it up. Runs great on the trailer. To darn cold to drop it in the water. I was surprised by the fact that it was not very loud. So next week I'm off to Florida to drop it in the bay and see hows she does for Gasperilla parade. If all else fails I have 4 more, two more that run fine.

Took them to Fl. and here is the results on the straight pipe. Runs awesome after tuning the carb for about a hour. No problems at all. It's only slightly noisy when moving slow. I have one more that seems to run great but not pumping well. Won't plain out. I think it might be sucking air, the impeller looks pretty good. I'll tear into in a few to see whats up. My 88 was already here and is a good machine. I have two that I bought just for the tandem trailer and they are in very poor condition. Good parts machines though. I'm in Tampa if any one needs parts.

Thread Information