central Ohio

500 mile jet ski trip on the ohio.

Hello fellow boaters! I am new to this forum and thought i would share my plans for a Jet Ski river trip and maybe get some feedback. In August of 2015 I am planning a trip with 2 buddies on the Ohio river. We are going to start in pittsburgh & go at least to Cincinnati. anyone know of any restrictions on carrying extra fuel? places we may or may not set up camp? hotels with or close to docks? things to see? Any thoughts are welcomed.

St. Amant, LA
    Welcome to the 'hulk. Interesting trip - while I don't know anything about your route my first thought is you're going to need to check with the ACoE to make sure there are no planned constructions on the O's lock & dams that might impeded your travel.

On that note, you might want to find out what may be the most optimal time to make the trip. Perhaps you'll find the locks at open as opposed to locking through... just a thought. Of course, I don't know how many you'll need to nav., so this may not be a large issue.

Wish I could help more but I don't have any trips for this area submitted to my site (perhaps you'll be first...?).

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    similar idea but different area and much longer

might be worth some browsing to get some ideas

Georgian Bay, ON
    I'm not sure how populated the area is an how close people will be if you run into trouble but I would recommend planning a safety kit for it now, and perhaps a GPS. We started doing some distance riding in unknown area's this year and my must have accessories were GPS, depth sounder, and emergency kit. Of course I didn't have to use my emergency kit, but its there if I need it.

The depth sounder was extremely useful when navigating shallow looking water. It's made my trips far more enjoyable because I don't have to be nervous when traversing shallow areas.

My setup for longer distance travelling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140614_141938.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	347691Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kit2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	347692
    Last edited by RGUN; 12-03-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added picture

Thread Information