Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb Stunned owner of a new 2014 FX SVHO

Hi there I am looking forward to suggestions. I bought a brand new FX SVHO 2014 and the issue I am having is when I towed it from the dealership to my dock it wouldn't start the only way I could get it to start was hold the throttle wide open. I took it back to dealer and they could not reproduce the issue it started every time. I again towed it back to my dock and launched it guess what? It would only start if I held the throttle wide open. I went through this ordeal 3 times now and the dealer is stumped they say they say they contacted Yamaha engineers and there was no feedback that helped my issue. Its currently winterize and I am thinking if I have this issue in the spring they are taking it back.. Do I have a lemon??? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks Dave

+1
    You need to stay off the throttle completely till it starts
    Sounds like you are flooding it
    As when you go full throttle while starting it generally cuts off the injectors

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Each time you tried starting was it already in the water?

Does it start normally on the trailer out of the water, but not start normally in the water? If so, might be a weak battery than cannot cope with the water drag on the jet pump when cranking in the water.

Even a brand new battery can sometimes turn out to be internally weak, even when 'charged'.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Each time you tried starting was it already in the water?

Does it start normally on the trailer out of the water, but not start normally in the water? If so, might be a weak battery than cannot cope with the water drag on the jet pump when cranking in the water.

Even a brand new battery can sometimes turn out to be internally weak, even when 'charged'.

Holding the throttle wide open would not help if it was a battery issue...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    Yep, if you squeeze the throttle lever when starting, then engine should not start.

+1
    check battery cables, mine were a tad loose.

Following up on your comment

Heres the issue after trailering the machine to my dock I off load it in the water. Push and hold the start button to crank it over and it just turns over. Once I push the throttle to the bar while cranking it the machine starts. I trailered it back to the dealer and the mechanic was starting it at will at the dealership. They suggested I crack the gas cap open before starting it and I laughed saying dude I just spent $18K with taxes and trailer I am not cracking the gas cap every time I want to start it. Again I take it back to my dock 25 min drive try starting and same issue however I did try cracking the gas cap just to see if there was a build up of back pressure but it still didn't help. This has gone on for 3 times now total of 4 hours on the machine. The season ended and I stored it at the dealer without the issue solved. I don't want to have this issue at the beginning of this season. Thoughts?

The cables were tight I checked that also check the out of the battery and it was fine...

[QUOTE=volltrex;2489592]
    Dave that's the only way I could get it to start after trailering it back from the dealer see my explanation of details below

Here's the issue after trailering the machine to my dock I off load it in the water. Push and hold the start button to crank it over and it just turns over. Once I push the throttle to the bar while cranking it the machine starts. I trailered it back to the dealer and the mechanic was starting it at will at the dealership. They suggested I crack the gas cap open before starting it and I laughed saying dude I just spent $18K with taxes and trailer I am not cracking the gas cap every time I want to start it. Again I take it back to my dock 25 min drive try starting and same issue however I did try cracking the gas cap just to see if there was a build up of back pressure but it still didn't help. This has gone on for 3 times now total of 4 hours on the machine. The season ended and I stored it at the dealer without the issue solved. I don't want to have this issue at the beginning of this season. Thoughts?

It was in the water when I tried starting it. The dealer however started in dry on the trailer and it would start at will for him. The battery was charged and checked and putting out full output. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information