Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Need help with aftermarket TURBO "not a supercharger"

    I acquired this turbo a while back and would like to install this on my 2008 RXP X but have no idea where to start. Does anyone recognize this turbo.
    To get it running I believe I will have to get bigger injectors, fuel regulator, aluminum intake etc.

    Heck I may have to redesign the whole thing from the ground up.

    Any help would be appreciated.




    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141130_101852.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	347538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141130_101902.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	347539Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141130_101915.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	347540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141130_101927.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	347541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141130_101947.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	347542


  2. #2
    PS this is a 2012 260 engine I just rebuilt. 2008 255 is a little different.

  3. #3
    boost junkie skidoochris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison, Mi
    Posts
    4,494
    +1
    476
    Welcome to the GH
    turbo should have a tag on it , looks like a garrett
    the biggest problem I see is the turbo sets in the waterbox location
    that is too low and water can get into the turbo ( very bad)
    and you will need a oil pump to pump the oil back up into the motor
    that hose running uphill will not work
    why did they leave out the intercooler?
    there is a lot of hot parts exposed, your hull is going to be a oven
    what is going to hold up the turbo, that rope may not work in the hull
    what are your fuel and ecu plans?

  4. #4
    dlamazing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    miami fl
    Posts
    1,193
    +1
    10
    Flip it so that the turbo sits up and see how it turns out there's no way that turbo can sit like that oil drain issues also it will be at the water line as soon as you shut it off water will surge to the back housing not good when you flip it you will need to clock the turbo towards the intake manifold and make sure the oil drain is facing straight down

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    Welcome to the GH
    turbo should have a tag on it , looks like a garrett
    the biggest problem I see is the turbo sets in the waterbox location
    that is too low and water can get into the turbo ( very bad)
    and you will need a oil pump to pump the oil back up into the motor
    that hose running uphill will not work
    why did they leave out the intercooler?
    there is a lot of hot parts exposed, your hull is going to be a oven
    what is going to hold up the turbo, that rope may not work in the hull
    what are your fuel and ecu plans?
    Thanks Chris. The turbo has no service tag on it but it is a Garrett turbo. Who ever "designed" this setup is ALL wrong!! First there is WAY to much weight on the exhaust and no way to mount the turbo to the engine, so it would have to be independently mounted like to the hull...NOT good!!

    Fuel and ecu plans are unknown at this time, just want to get a functioning unit at this point.

    Looks like I'll have to redesign this thing from the ground up.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dlamazing View Post
    Flip it so that the turbo sits up and see how it turns out there's no way that turbo can sit like that oil drain issues also it will be at the water line as soon as you shut it off water will surge to the back housing not good when you flip it you will need to clock the turbo towards the intake manifold and make sure the oil drain is facing straight down
    You know i did do that; Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141130_145523.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	347609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141130_145617.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	347610

    Two things wrong with that is the turbo sets so far back it will interfere with the hull and two the way the water connections are set up it looks like a lot of air would be trapped inside the j pipe not giving full water circulation.

    I'm going to scrap the "J" pipe design altogether and build something more efficient so the turbo can be mounted to the engine.

  7. #7
    R88ory RXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    2,737
    +1
    46
    If your going to start again with a new "up" pipe, it is very easy to mount the turbo very close to the exhaust manifold, with a very short "up" pipe, no support is required.

    The oil does not HAVE to drain into the SCer hole, there is another location. As far as protecting the turbo from water ingestion just make sure the down pipe comes up above the water line before it exits the ski.

    IMO you want to get the weight as low as possible, the turbo is a big chunk of weight especially if the hot housing is water cooled so getting it down low helps with handling.

    As I say, if you can come up with a design that effectively hangs the turbo straight off of the manifold, supporting it is not necessary. It also helps minimize lag...

    R88

  8. #8
    Here is a picture of the Garrett turbo. No service tag. Can anyone help to identify this?

    Any help appreciated.

    Curtis

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141202_070443.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	347612

  9. #9
    ricky86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the netherlands
    Posts
    302
    +1
    19
    i believe you have a the same setup like this one, might gives you an idea of how to mount things and run you pipes.
    if you search on google "seadoo turbo kit"you see alot of pics of turbo kits and how they mount the turbo including turbo kits like you have

    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107490
    Last edited by ricky86; 12-02-2014 at 11:34 AM.

  10. #10
    Sayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Melbourne AUS
    Posts
    2,300
    +1
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    If your going to start again with a new "up" pipe, it is very easy to mount the turbo very close to the exhaust manifold, with a very short "up" pipe, no support is required.

    The oil does not HAVE to drain into the SCer hole, there is another location. As far as protecting the turbo from water ingestion just make sure the down pipe comes up above the water line before it exits the ski.

    IMO you want to get the weight as low as possible, the turbo is a big chunk of weight especially if the hot housing is water cooled so getting it down low helps with handling.

    As I say, if you can come up with a design that effectively hangs the turbo straight off of the manifold, supporting it is not necessary. It also helps minimize lag...

    R88
    +1, more than a few Seadoo Centre turbo setups running with the Turbo positioned low.

  11. +1 by:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with 1989 Waverunner 650 , will not start ...
    By cw_mi in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM
  2. Need Help!!! With 01 GP1200R. Will not start!
    By 992door in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 07:54 AM
  3. I need help with turbo garrett
    By elfonta in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
  4. Need help with a 04 seadoo 3d not starting
    By 5Bulldogs in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
  5. Need help with 2003 FX-12 turbos
    By dchildress in forum Honda Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 02:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •