rebuilding a 2005 rxt 215hp need advice on parts buying

I just pickedup a 2005 rxt in great shape body wise but has a rod knocking-I traded a chevy 4x4 truck that needed work even up for the ski we both feel good on the trade and happy.
    he said it had a brand new supercharger installed in his on the ski not long ago and said around 20 hours on it-it only had 1 key so I asked for 2 and he agreed and had to put battery in ski and check programing on and set keys he set both to full power ------while doing this he saw the supercharger had 18 hours and said it cost 1100.00 dollars.

from what I think happened is the previouse owner must have bought the new supercharger from him and did not clean the engine out before installing the new one,so the rod bearing did not last long-engine is knocking I did not let him try to start it I trust what he said it will run but if the rod lets go you would not have a good core.I did ask what happened and he did say "they probably did not clean the block out"

ski has 200 hours

so I need you guys to help me with a detailed parts list of the things you know I need to buy-here is my guess (wont know for sure till teardown of engine)

1---buy all new valves have my machine shop guy install them (what brand of valves)do I need caps and keepers to?
    2---complete rebuild gasket kit
    3---3 new pistons/rings (I will bore this engine if it can be bored)maybe 1 rod to
    4---sbt crankshaft
    5---all new main and rod bearings
    6---timeing chain and guides
    7---arp head stud bolt kit
    8---arp flywheel bolt kit
    9---arp case bolt kit
    10--arp rod bolt kit

can you guys give me brand name for parts to buy and let me know what else I will need?
    thankyou killer454

In my opinion it looks like you are going to spend a lot of wasted money. The ARP bolt kits are overkill unless you plan on a LOT of high rpms and aftermarket turbo. Myself I've rebuilt 7 of these engines, 4 215's, 2 255's and one 260 and have only had to bore out one engine because salt water set on top of the pistons after they drowned the engine. Check the clearances on the culprit rod, between the rod journal and crank journal. With a little luck it may have just washed out the bearing. If not I take the crank to the machine shop and have the journal built up to specs, and have it tested for stress cracks. SBT have good cranks and sometimes you can find them on ebay for a good price.

About the bolts... the manual says to ALWAYS replace the bolts with new bolts. This may be true but I've always reused the same bolts with the exception of the rod bolts and have never had a failure!!! NEVER!!

Gaskets; the only gaskets I've ever replaced are the head gaskets and pto gasket.

Valves; unless the valves show stress or head cracks just lap the valves and you should be good.

Timing chain; so far I've never had to replace the chain or guides, the 255 I rebuilt had over 300 hrs on it!

Pistons; if you plan on boring out the block get forged pistons!!

Turbo; even a new turbo between 04 and 07 used ceramic washers in their turbos with consistent failures. 2008 they came out with metal washers that had a coating on the metal washers that would fail, so make sure the "new" turbo has these metal washers and you shouldn't have any problems.

hope this helped.
    Last edited by WaterRat; 12-02-2014 at 07:08 AM.

+1
    I thought it was the 07 that came out with the metal washers with the coating on them that was bad and 08 they started with the good metal washers?

+1
    Do NOT run '04-05 valves.

Jest_r 2008 is when they came out with metal washers that had the coating on it. In 2009 they eliminated the coating.

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    This is the first time I've that??

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    You are right Ranger! the '04-05 and some '06 valves are prone to fatigue and failure. I would have to say some '07's have the same problem. I've rebuilt 2 215's for this reason. Maybe the 07's were built in late 06?

My avatar is one of them!

+1
    ARP Rod bolts and Case bolts are a waste. The only things I run ARP are head stud kits and flywheel bolts. I run ARP head studs on every motor I build, im not a fan of the oem stretch bolts.

Don't ever use anything SBT. You will be right back where you started, run 100% oem bearings, and find a good used crank and have it micro polished.

+1
    Turbo; even a new turbo between 04 and 07 used ceramic washers in their turbos with consistent failures. 2008 they came out with metal washers that had a coating on the metal washers that would fail, so make sure the "new" turbo has these metal washers and you shouldn't have any problems.hope this helped.

The term "turbo", does not apply to these skis in factory form. They only come Supercharged, or Naturally aspirated.

Some of the more addicted speed freaks out there (myself included) have removed the factory superchargers, and Added aftermarket Turbos for BIG boost, and empty wallets.

Thread Information