Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200R Opinions

Hey guys,
    I have a quick question about a Gp1200r that I am looking at. I wanted to get some opinions on if it's worth it to buy because it may need some work. I talked to the guy very briefly just asking if it was still available and if he would send me pictures. He did not have picture of it and it's in a storage unit but he said it needs a new seat cover (not sure how reliable that is). The problems listed I have no knowledge of what it could possibly be. I was wondering if anyone would know what is wrong with it or what it would need.

I am looking for a new ski because I have outgrown my 95 Seadoo SPX. So I saw this and was thinking it could be worth working on.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/4735187723.html

Thanks!

+1
    How long has it been sitting? Does'nt sound like a electricle issue to me considering mine was doing the same thing a couple months ago and it ended up being no oil in the first cylinder (new and dumb me). If you can get it for cheap thats a great buy considering the Riva stage 1 kit is worth 1500+ anyway. Id do it!

+1
    And if it ends up being a Eletrical issuse a whole new CDI/Servo for the Powervalves isnt that much considering there a crap ton on ebay for pretty cheap, but like i said if you get it for cheap then its a good buy.

Guy told me he rode it a few times over the summer and it ran good until it bogged down to 30 mph. He was told it may be the stator that is bad. He brought it to a repair shop and they were the ones who told him.

Yeah if it's worth it I want to jump on it but I wanted some input.

+1
    Hmm like i said doesnt sound like a eletrical problem but who knows. Check compression before you buy it and roll with it!

+1
    Zack, you never said how much $ ... with out knowing that, it is hard to say weather its a good buy. The 2000 GP1200R is normally a very fast and tough ski. Can take a beating & still perform very well. Modifications are limitless ... and speed is bountiful. There are still a lot of parts for the ski which is a good think. Given the questionable condition you described I would think an offer around $1500. would be a start. If the seller wants a great deal more ... meaning much over $2K, and given no trailer, I may have a notion to walk away. Unfortunate for us Yamaha 2 stroke ski owners, these fast beast do not command a good resale price. And there are a good number for sale this time of year. Having said that, there will soon come a time they will be hard to find. They are after all one of the fastest race hulls ever designed and find their way into the conversion build market often. Good Luck

+1
    I have to agree with OzarkyamMonster the 1200R is a awesome ski all around and still alot out there for cheap. try to get some pics of hull and engine and post them.

These pictures were from a year ago. He said it does need new mats because the glue wore off and then a new seat cover. He is asking for 1500. I think I am going to try and get him to a little less. I wont be able to get out there until the 20th/21st of this month because I'm in school in Wisconsin and its located 6ish hours away. I am going to text him when the date gets closer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0249.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	347649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	347650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	347651  

+1
    Test ride is only way to guage the issues at hand, check compression. How many hours? Any mods? Guy sounds like hes withholding information. Although the 1200 is a solid ski, i'd hold out for a 03 and up gp1300R fuel injected. It could be a number of issues with that ski, way to many to go over. Its a crap shoot, but considering it has issues and he wants $1500, you'd better knock him down on price cause you going to sink it right back into ski getting it back up to speed.

I got the number of the repair shop the ski is at. I left a message asking more information on what their diagnosis is and if there is anything else wrong with it.

He says it has a stage 1 riva kit on it. So I am not sure if that's the free flow exhaust, ride plate, intake grate, and prop. I think that is what it was. When I go take a look at it I am going to double check all of that.

I talked with WFO and he told me that the problem could be fuel related, possibly something wrong with the carbs or maybe even the cylinder. Or it could be a problem with the reed valve modulator or the CDI box. It was hard to give a full diagnosis based off of a somewhat brief description.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information