Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Eastside POWERSPORTS cam for SeaDoo review

I have had a few folks reach out to me with questions about the cam I am running so I figured I would create a dedicated thread about it since it tends to buried in my build thread.

I always heard that a cam will make a noticeable difference in the SeaDoo, but I was skeptical to run one since typically after a cam install tuning becomes difficult, fueling is tough to get right, ski becomes hard to start, etc. However, I was told the ski will run great and will love the power, so I figured I would try it. I must say, I am super happy with ski's performance and it runs smooth and setting up fueling was not a problem. This is an easy upgrade and packs a lot of power!

My first impression was that the cam looked great and was significantly lighter than the stock one. He also provided better cam sprocket bolts too.

Knowing that I was going to spin more RPM and run a cam I wanted to play it safe and I installed the Riva valve train kit.

** My first day of testing with the cam which was advanced, set in the middle of the slots, I didnt see the results I was hoping for and must say that I was fairly disappointed. It just seemed like something was wrong and was I was ready to put the stock cam back in it. Several talked me out of going back to stock and said I was almost there, it just needed to be tuned. They convinced me to set the cam and crank to the stock timing settings. So I got the tools from Brett and did the work. This is where I really needed assistance understanding the timing and setting the ski up.

** Second day of testing with the cam and crank in the stock locked positions, I found that woke the sleeping beast!! The acceleration and ability to reach top speed and RPM is awesome! I was definitely impressed when my first pass was 81.5 mph at 8520 rpm in not ideal conditions and second pass at 81.9 mph at 8540 with the VTech 8500 tune.

** Before the cam, the ski had good top speed, but took a while to get there. Before the cam, holeshot may of seen about 7800 rpm. Now with the cam, holeshot is seeing 8480 and the ski pulls really hard.

** With stock cam my best top speed in flat water was 80.0 mph at 8300 rpm. Weather conditions 68*, Dew point 33.8, Humidity 28%, Wind NNE 3.5 mph

** With the Eastside POWERSPORTS cam my best top speed in fair amount or ripple to choppy was 81.9 mph at 8540 rpm and was backed up with several passes above 81.5 mph. Weather conditions 69*, Dew point 55.9, Humidity 63%, Wind NNW 13.8 mph

VTech 8500 Agr, was tested first.
    Base fuel pressure 78 psi.
    AFR was right about 12.0 - 11.9,
    Max RPM I saw was 8620 RPM and was able to hold consistently 8540. It was fairly choppy at times, so maybe they were just spikes. This tune and setup achieved the 81.9 mph with 4 bars fuel

VTech 8950 Agr, was tested second.
    Base fuel pressure 78 psi.
    Afr was right about 11.3 - 11.7,
    Max RPM I was was 8587, consistent rpm I saw was 8500. This tune and setup achieved the 81.6 mph. I wanted to lean it out, but there was to much boat traffic and lake was just getting to rough so I called it quits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141117_102817.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	347616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141117_102551.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	347617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141117_135716~3.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	347618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141124_204227.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	347615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141124_204337.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	347619  
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 12-05-2014 at 09:16 AM.

+1
    How did you retard the cam timing when both the cam and crank are locked? Cam appears to be straight up now. What am I missing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    How did you retard the cam timing when both the cam and crank are locked? Cam appears to be straight up now. What am I missing?
    Sorry, maybe I am not explaining it well. That is correct, it is currently in the straight up locked position now which ran the best.
    Prior I had advanced (center of the slots) it so in relation to that setup, it is now retarded compare to my first test. Attached is a pic of how it was tested in my first test.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141124_160359.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	347635  

+1
    Nice write up Gus.

I wonder how this cam compares to the colt billet cam and the regrinds out there......

+1
    Ah...ok, I was confused, my fault. BTW, nice speed numbers, especially for an X-Charger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Sorry, maybe I am not explaining it well. That is correct, it is currently in the straight up locked position now which ran the best.
    Prior I had advanced (center of the slots) it so in relation to that setup, it is now retarded compare to my first test. Attached is a pic of how it was tested in my first test.
    Hope this helps.

+1
    Ah...ok, I was confused, my fault. BTW, nice speed numbers, especially for an X-Charger!

Hope this helps.
    Nah, it is ok. I spent 30 minutes trying to explain it to someone else... Tough to explain especially when some of the stuff is new to me or trying to get resituated with the SeaDoo platform again.

Thank you! Yes, I am super happy with the results so far with just a few things done and only at 8500 rpm. Hopefully my info can help benefit others.

+1
    Hopefully my info can help benefit others.
    This is terrible info. I now feel like I must spend more money.

+1

Hope this helps.
    Nah, it is ok. I spent 30 minutes trying to explain it to someone else... Tough to explain especially when some of the stuff is new to me or trying to get resituated with the SeaDoo platform again.

Thank you! Yes, I am super happy with the results so far with just a few things done and only at 8500 rpm. Hopefully my info can help benefit others.
    Keep up the good work, you're proving there is more than one way get good results!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Hopefully my info can help benefit others.
    This is terrible info. I now feel like I must spend more money.

Just think of it this way. Perfect item to ask for, when someone asks what do you want for the holidays.
    My wife will certainly be thankful if I was banned....... "Your always on the computer or testing the jetski"....

Keep up the good work, you're proving there is more than one way get good results!
    Thank you! That is much appreciated.

+1
    My wife will certainly be thankful if I was banned....... "Your always on the computer or testing the jetski"....
    I wonder if every wife has to pass special training regarding this ^^^

If the answer is yes mine passed the final exam with A++++++++

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information