Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

dealer wants 300$ to install bilge do you think this is a fair price!!

hey guys me again i asked the dealer to install a bilge pump he wants $300 with parts and labor for a automatic 500gl bilge pump i don't have the time to do this myself also i told him if i decide i would put the drain under the back of the seat bu the tow hook do you guys suggest a better spot than that

+1
    figure auto bilge and wiring is going to run about 100$...
    then pending which switch you want installed if any, another 20-80$ pending which switch...
    then an hour labor..
    seems about right for dealer.

hey thank you i dident think he was hitting me over the head just wanted to check he says the pump is seadoo wont void any warranty and costs 125 alone their will be no switch it will be automatic

+1
    You CAN do this yourself for under $100 and have a far better install than the SeaDoo version.

Having the bilge pump running all the time is a poor design and requires the DESS to be installed! REAL BAD idea. WHY?

If you are off the ski floating, ski is in water for any time, or battery dead with a exhausts clamp leak, carbon seal leak, damaged hull, etc the OEM pump is worthless.

You should have a 3 way switch, AUTO-OFF-ON that is wired directly to the battery or Fuze Panel and NOT to the DESS key!

There is a ton of great ideas and pictures in this thread:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79658

Prior to each ride I switch the pump ON to test it and then to AUTO for the rest of the day. How are you going to TEST the OEM install??

Shit, bilge pump wire crimps and float switch cost me around 35 dollars per ski....dont use an all in one, float switches are easy to replace/check. Your pump should last 5+ years, the switch 1-2. All in ones, seem to go bad after 1-2 years and are usually much more expensive

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Shit, bilge pump wire crimps and float switch cost me around 35 dollars per ski....dont use an all in one, float switches are easy to replace/check. Your pump should last 5+ years, the switch 1-2. All in ones, seem to go bad after 1-2 years and are usually much more expensive
    What ski are you putting this on??? I've submarined my rxp and got 7 inches of water in the hull and the normal non electric bilge got it out without a problem. If you are getting water in your hull by just riding around you could have other problems. Hose leaks or carbon seal... I don't see a purpose of having one. Unless you submarine every 5 min

dealer wants 300$ to install bilge do you think this is a fair price!!

^^^ i think the EXACT opposite as this guy....Then again, my business revolves around jet skis that float, anything can happen..

With that logic, boats don't need bilges either

+1
    ^^^ i think the EXACT opposite as this guy....Then again, my business revolves around jet skis that float, anything can happen..

With that logic, boats don't need bilges either
    The amount of water that causes a ski to sink, any bildge pump isn't going to keep up with that and it's just going to hold water. Forget to put the plugs in on the back of the ski and it gets gallons before you can put it back on the trailer.

Yeah and you dont need a seat belt if you just drive safely..sorry bud, bilge pumps should be standard on skis, just like boats.. You certainly wouldn't take that mentality on a boat, without anyone looking at you like you were crazy. Venturis do a good job, but I just wouldn't own a ski without a bilge.

I could come up with 150000 different times and examples where its been sink or swim on skis over the years...

+1
    Yeah and you dont need a seat belt if you just drive safely..sorry bud, bilge pumps should be standard on skis, just like boats.. You certainly wouldn't take that mentality on a boat, without anyone looking at you like you were crazy. Venturis do a good job, but I just wouldn't own a ski without a bilge.

I could come up with 150000 different times and examples where its been sink or swim on skis over the years...
    I agree with Tony an electric bilge pump should be mandatory on skis.

I don't like the oem kit as the bilge only runs when the key is on and you have no manual control. I have mine set up with an "On, Off, Auto" switch wired through a fuse and direct to the battery so if the ski is anchored the bilge pump is operational in case of a leak.

From past experience a bilge pump might not completely save the day but it will buy you time and options in case of a serious water leak.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information