15f temp warning

Hi guys. Got a new ( 2nd hand 120 hours) 15f a few weeks ago and every now and then the temp alarm goes off. I turn it off and on and it then goes fine. The manifold and water boxes are not overly hot. The top of the motor is about 70deg when I was flushing it and exhaust manifold was 32deg c . I put a new temp sensor in it and when I took the old one out which looked in pretty good condition it did have a bit of oil on it which is what I understand the factory fills up the little cavity with in the factory. I thought maybe it gave a high reading as there might not have been enough oil in it as it didn't really drip out. I put new sensor in and used marine grease like I have read u can use but alarm still went off twice yesterday mainly after a high speed few minute run. Any ideas on what's happening pls? Your help would be much appreciated. Tx

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    What year is it? What metal are the temp sensors made of?

Sean

2006 with silver old sensor. Guy at the shop sold me the newer sensor that I told them wouldn't work but he promised would. It didn't work and I swapped it for the original one

+1
    Ok that is what I was getting at. Try swapping the oil temp and coolant temp sensors. The oil tenp seems to have a different bias resistor installed on the ecu or a different value for tripping.

Sean

The guy told me they are the same part number

+1
    They are this will tell you if the sensor is bad if the oilt code changes to clt.

Sean

So after trying marine grease and also dialetric grease in the cavity the warning still goes off occasionally. I rang the guy at the shop and he tells me they have always put it in bone dry and putting all that grease in the cavity is what's causing the problem. So I put it in dry and no problem, it didn't go off. Now I'm worried as to how the sensor can read the actual temp if its dry ?

I dont think it can read actual temp if its dry. Doesnt make sense. Sure, putting it in dry insulates the sender and probably makes it run cooler, but that isnt the idea is it?

+1
    The sensor can still read the temp, its still in contact with the metal its just a less accurate reading.

Sean

Thread Information