Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Going from 2-Stroke to a Spark

Searching around, I didn't really find an answer to this question.

I'm looking to upgrade from my '97 GTX before the start of the next season. I used to absolutely love the GTX, until my coworker bought an '02 RXP. It kills me that he's not only a bit faster then me, but uses significantly less gas with his 951 then my 787. I'm not upgrading purely to compete; I'm actually happy with my top speed and power, just not my fuel efficiency.

I bought the GTX for stability, as it was very difficult to carry a passenger or tow with the early 90s skis I started on. Now I'm wishing I had something a little more maneuverable. I ride a 50/50 mix of small lakes, and bays, but only tow in small lakes. I also rarely carry a passenger on long trips.

I'm caught between ordering a new Spark, and buying something used around the same price point. The small size and power to weight ratio of the spark is really calling me, but I'm concerned I'll be disappointed when pulling a tube or skier.

I see lots of reviews comparing the Spark to other new skis on the market, but none comparing them to 2 stroke skis. Has anyone here gone from a 787 or 951 to a spark, and what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

The spark has great bottom end, sips fuel, and is one of the most fun watercraft I've owned, but it will be slower than a 787.

+1
    That's the main thing I wanted to know. I think it will come down to how much cruising in the bay I really want to do.

I'm sure I'd be convinced after a test drive, but that would set me back another full year. By the time the lakes thaw, any Sparks in the area will be long sold. They don't want to allocate enough Sparks to dealers in Atlantic Canada, and they just fly off the lot as soon as they arrive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryguy425425 View Post
    That's the main thing I wanted to know. I think it will come down to how much cruising in the bay I really want to do.

I'm sure I'd be convinced after a test drive, but that would set me back another full year. By the time the lakes thaw, any Sparks in the area will be long sold. They don't want to allocate enough Sparks to dealers in Atlantic Canada, and they just fly off the lot as soon as they arrive.
    What is the top speed of your ski now?

+1
    I still own an Xp and a Hx inc a 84 mph rxtx S3 .

I loved my spark , it had more bottom and mid than the Xp but top end the Xp wins .....just ...

the hull is great , much better than the XP in the chop ...
    Last edited by SLASHER; 12-12-2014 at 08:22 AM.

+1
    I agree with Slasher. A reflashed Spark is better out of the hole than a stock XP and will outrun one until it peaks out at around 50 mph. I've never pulled a tube with my spark but I'm sure it has more pull than the XP so that shouldn't be an issue at all ...

Quote Originally Posted by Water Pig View Post
    I agree with Slasher. A reflashed Spark is better out of the hole than a stock XP and will outrun one until it peaks out at around 50 mph. I've never pulled a tube with my spark but I'm sure it has more pull than the XP so that shouldn't be an issue at all ...

I use mine for water-skiing (mono skier and tubes ) and it has no issues the deep water starts are quick!

+1
    Get the Spark...you will not be disappointed or regret it.

+1
    Glad to hear they pull well! With the better bottom end, I know it'll be a hell of a lot more fun on the lake. My biggest concern now is keeping up with the RXP when cruising the bay. Of course I'm not looking to win the race, I just don't want to be struggling to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post

Right now my impeller isn't in the best shape, but it will do 80 KMH (With smooth water and a strong back wind lol). My bottom end is terrible, but I only really complain when I'm pulling an adult on a tube and have a second adult with me. It sounds like the spark is the way to go, with the added bottom end.

To be honest, after looking around and reading these reply, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spark is faster then my 787.

+1
    Glad to hear they pull well! With the better bottom end, I know it'll be a hell of a lot more fun on the lake. My biggest concern now is keeping up with the RXP when cruising the bay. Of course I'm not looking to win the race, I just don't want to be struggling to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post

Right now my impeller isn't in the best shape, but it will do 80 KMH (With smooth water and a strong back wind lol). My bottom end is terrible, but I only really complain when I'm pulling an adult on a tube and have a second adult with me. It sounds like the spark is the way to go, with the added bottom end.

To be honest, after looking around and reading these reply, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spark is faster then my 787.
    Well the spark will do 80-82 kmh when it is reflashed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information