Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rebuild question/stator question

I am replacing a stator and removed the housing and need to ask a question. In the attached link item 2 and three. (the gear and small shaft) My gear is in place but I seem to remember a shaft going through to the cover which has a hole in the appropriate place. Don't want to replace without shaft, but if it was there it isn't now. Don't see it in bottom of hull but holding to verify. Its the small hole to right where I seem to remember a shaft. Any help is appreciated. The small gear is in place but wiggles easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GENERATOR.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	348104  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    That gear is your starter Bendix and it has to have the shaft pin to hold it in place. there should be a small washer between the pin and motor housing. the cover should have a spring and small washer that keeps the pin pushed into the motor housing. DO NOT PUT COVER ON WITHOUT THIS PIN IN PLACE...

Thanks I finally found the pin it was stuck to the inside of the main gear. Used my phone to video since I couldn't see in there, worked well. Here is the real problem though. I cannot get my display to work. Bought ski with frozen motor (rust from sitting). Wouldn't turn over but the display would come on for a second. Removed motor and rebuilt now it runs but I cannot get the display to work. It is a grounding issue somewhere, I have replaced the entire harness including CDI, the stator, checked fuses, replaced display, . even ran extra ground from battery to motor. No luck. Is there some sort of ground or fuse under the motor I may be missing. HELP

+1
    From your last post you may have the answer the problem already (RUST FORM SITTING). If there was a lot of moisture in the hull you may have a bad connection somewhere from corrosion. I know you have replaced the harness are you talking about the one that runs from the display to the electric box or just the one from the front cover. just remember if you lose ground from inside the front cover the ski will not do anything. if the ski is starting and running and the display is not working then you could have a bad display or a bad connection to the display. look for broken wires and corrosion. it doesn't sound like a bad ground to me.

I purchased a used stator and housing and a used entire box and harness including the ecu so every bit of wiring including the display has been swapped except the rectifier, ignition coils and the sensors from the engine and wires to the starter. I am getting voltage to the display connection with the ski running.

W/b to B/o = 8.4v
    r/y to b/o = 12.4v
    w/b to r/y = 4.3v

w/b to b/o directly from the battery to the display with no sensors attached and the display will light.

The connections are red white and black on the display side without the tracer stripes.

The warning buzzer also does not sound. With the motor locked when I bought the ski the display would light and the buzzer would sound even with the ski motor not turning one inch.
    Fresh water ski with 50 hours no visable rust anywhere it was just inside one cylinder.

I would try the YDS but suspect it won't help because I think it plugs into the display connection where the problem is showing itself.

I will happily reward anyone who can help I am at my wits end and considering selling.

See page 120 of the diagram
    http://www.autocd.ru/autocd/WV/FX140...8197-ZF-CX.PDF
    Last edited by flash-1295; 12-31-2014 at 03:28 PM.

+1
    When i first saw the pic of your front cover i thought it was for a different ski. wasn't even thinking it was a fx140. i have a couple sitting here with motors pulled. with out looking at the wiring i cant be for sure but i think when you push the start button it is putting power to the display and ecm at the same time along with the starter relay. the display should power up when you push the start button. if i was testing this ski out i would start at the start stop switch and work my way down. but like i said i am not sure. if i get a chance today i will stick a hot battery on one of these 140 i have without the motor and see if the display will light up with the start pushed.
    maybe someone who knows more about it will chime in.

Thanks so much for the reply. I am kind of at a loss as to where to turn next. If your post helps me solve this riddle I will gladly send you a gift ($) to say thanks.

+1
    Thanks but no $ necessary. I been in town all day and haven't got a chance to do anything. if this rain will let up i will check it tomorrow.

+1
    Ok so put battery on fx140 with NO engine in it and all i hooked to the battery was the positive battery terminal and the 2 small ground wires that bolt to the left hand side rear of the engine. I hit the start button and the display lit up showing hrs. voltage and fuel and the bilge pump runs but all turns off after about 5 to 8 seconds. things to note was everything is still connected as should be minus the engine and coils and all engine and exhaust sensors. you should pull the cover off the electrical box and inspect all connections to make sure something is NOT connected wrong. also make sure the 2 ground wires that connect to the rear left hand side of the engine are connected properly and in good shape (no corrosion).
    Hope this helps if not take some pics of your wiring at display connections and inside the electrical box and ill compare them to mine to see if everything is correct.
    Just let me know Jerry

I can't thank you enough for all the help. I can't imagine it being anything inside the wet box because I didn't open it during the rebuild and I even swapped out the entire harness including a replacement unopened box and ECU. Mine starts and the bilge gets activated and bilge runs for awhile as it should. Just no display. Unless I somehow disconnected a ground to the wet box I am guessing it has to be the start switch as you suggested or I am connecting something wrong at the front but most of the connections only seem to fit the correct receptical. I will give it a shot hooked up like yours and see what happens. I will let you know, I may be in the market to buy one of your start switches if you want to sell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information