Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 yamaha gp1200r HELP!

hey everyone a newbie here,

I got myself a 2002 gp1200r recently and I feel like its not as fast as it should be. It feels pretty slow out of the hole (which they are supposedly) and can only reach a top speed of about 53 mph max (speedo and gps) my question is what could be wrong with this thing?? it idols fine but runs a little rough at low rpm, Impellor looks near new. It had just had a rebuild before I bought it which include sleeve barrels, bore & hone, New pistons, rebuilt carbs, crankshaft an seals, driveline kit, drive shaft & coupler shaft (according to the recipts that come with the ski) hull has done 140hrs and work was done about 10 hrs ago.Could the lackof speed come from a plug lead, a coil beaking down or a bad earth or something??? he speed was 53mph at 6500rpm ANY help would be great!!!

+1
    Hello gprJoel, yes you are correct. 53 mph GPS, is very slow for a GP1200R. Did you do a compression check? That is the most important indicator @ this point. Do one and report back. P.S. Welcome to the Hulk.

ok so just installed a new set of lever links for the power valves (the ones so the pin cant come out) after taking the first cover off the PV discoverd that the pin had already come out an thank **** it hadnt fallen in it was just sitting there, replaced all 3 and fingers crossed that was the speed problem will give it a test run in the next few days ( fingers crossed)

+1
    Good luck ... hope that is the fix. Still curious about your compression

Yes hopefully. I tested compression it was 120 - 125 across all 3

I took the ski out thisafternoon to test and still cant get it over 53 mph... what is wrong with this thing???? This was tested with trim in neutral. Does the trim affect top speed much?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gprjoel View Post
    Does the trim affect top speed much?
    No, maybe 1-2mph.

+1
    You need to make sure the power valves are opening all the way and are adjusted correctly. You will get max speed with the nose trimmed up and sitting all the way back or standing. The wave eater powervalve clips are a must and sounds like you have already installed them but don't use the wave eater couplers as they will wear the shafts since they are metal pins to metal shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    You need to make sure the power valves are opening all the way and are adjusted correctly. You will get max speed with the nose trimmed up and sitting all the way back or standing. The wave eater powervalve clips are a must and sounds like you have already installed them but don't use the wave eater couplers as they will wear the shafts since they are metal pins to metal shafts.
    thanks for the advice, i think next step is to just give it to yamaha with a fist full of cash an get them to check over it. Do you know if you have to remove exhaust to adjust carb settings?

+1
    Yes you have to remove the pipe directly over the carbs to adjust the carbs unless someone has installed T handles on the lows and highs adjusters. removing the pipe does have some advantages when working on the ski. it gives you the chance to inspect the oil injection lines if still installed and also replace the CAT with D plate if not already done. if the prop is still stock then replacing it with a solas 13/19 and checking the wear ring will also make a difference in speed. if you don't know how to tell the difference in the stock prop slide under the ski and look through the intake grate at the prop and take some pics and post them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information