Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

New floating ring bigger and causes X charger to not fit?

OK folks wtf am I doing wrong here. 07 RXT with X charger and having issues with it now fitting. I purchased some new replacement parts to do my driveline over and was informed the newer floating rings are now bigger, they sure are. After I got the driveshaft completely done I went to install my X charger w/ET 137 and the damn thing wouldn't align and was hitting something. With a mirror I looked underneath to see what it was catching on and it's the damn new floating ring. I tried rotating the charger just a bit and couldn't get it to clear, charger is going at an angle on account of it. Getting afraid that I'm going to have to pull it all apart and resort to the old smaller floating ring. Anyone else have this issue?

+1
    It shouldn't interfere with the supercharger. I would look and verify the C-clip is on properly and support ring (the hat or floating ring as you call it) is properly seated.

+1
    here's a couple pics of the hat difference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5o3ybulnq...40.08.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqbk8d52u2...40.19.jpg?dl=0

Charger goes at a slight angle and clears the bellows but the moment you try to straight it to align it bangs on the hat and still maintains a slight angle so charger will not go in, never had this issue with the x housing and original hat. New floating ring oem part number is 271001434 and I was shocked how much bigger it is.

+1
    ya I looked to make sure the floating ring is seated with the clip...it's dead where it wants to be and slipped right in once I released tension from the bellows compression tool. Maybe I can snap a pic under there and show how the thing is banging on the new bigger hat. I'm stumped and know it will go right in without issue with original hat but not crazy about it's condition and why I wanted it replaced. I need a beer

+1
    ok I think I know what the issue is. The combination of 4mm spacer with the ET137 and new bigger hat don't seem to play nicely together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vywaj4hqq...41.42.jpg?dl=0

Sorry but that damn thing is huge and it's seated just fine.

Now take a look at the charger and see the impression the hat has made on the charger housing.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwdz2zuhwl...07.14.jpg?dl=0
    It's right after all the bosses and widest part of housing...almost makes it. If that 4mm spacer wasn't there the front housing would be back further and the radius of housing would then just clear...least that's what I'm seeing happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fenqgpju0x...12.26.jpg?dl=0
    Got under it for a pic. Almost looks like a slight rotation of the charger and it would clear...nope tried multiple times and that's what caused the wore the mark in front housing. And yes I even pealed the flap back of pto bellows thinking it's thickness would interfere since it sits over that hat and adds to it. First time I tried I wasn't aware of this new found clearance problem and it tore a small spot in the new pto bellows, ohh well it's the flap so i didn't care much and not forcing it either. Only solution I see is pull it all back apart and either freshen up the old hat or find a new older sized version since it's smaller and never had this issue prior to this new sized hat.

+1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6au2tzwnzh...83258.jpg?dl=0

Found an old pic with original hat. Won't have this problem I resort back to that.

+1
    take a pic of the clamp that holds the new bellow onto your pto cover and post it.

+1
    I'll do that but I assure you it's not the Oetiker clamp ear. When I was placing that clamp I pre fit it and tested placement with charger for fear of where that ear would land. Service manual pic showed it at same position as clamp over bearing but that's impossible as the water pump is right there. Clamp ear was placed straight up and after I installed just the pto bearing/bellows assembly I again prefit the charger and no clearance issue at all, until that hat new sized hat was present. The clamp on the bearing came oem fitted at the 2 o'clock position away from charger. I will say I did one further check out of curiosity moments ago. I pulled the pump..why? because it drops the driveshaft and with it the hat lowers...charger now fit in but super tight. With pump on charger housing bangs that new big hat. Alignment isn't an issue because I tested that also prior to assembly. Last thing I want to do is pull a pump every time I want to pull this charger and the original sized hat was not a problem before so my belief is I need to go back to that.

By luck of the dice seadoo02xp had posted some parts...hey there's a hat and it's bran new and the older size....took it..what luck because you can't get that size anymore. Bet once that's on and this monstrosity of a new sized hat is gone the problem will go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    take a pic of the clamp that holds the new bellow onto your pto cover and post it.

+1
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgx84ppbjv...41.37.jpg?dl=0

ahh I already had one taken so you can see where that back clamp ear is, no worm drives used here. I assure you before putting that driveshaft and hat in that charger sat in there nice and I still had a decent finger tip all around that ear that it doesn't touch. That new hat with a 4mm spacer is a no go...least over here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post

+1
    I have never replaced the hat before, all I have ever done is take a sharpening stone/block and with some oil and re-faced the hat, worked fine for me, It will remove any imperfections that would cause fast seal wear. I have also replaced the o rings inside the hat at the same time.

So id just do that and return to the old hat, problem solved.

R88

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information