Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

1994 WaveRaider starter removal. Remove exhaust?

I've owned this purple hull Raider since brand new; over 20 yrs! It appears that the starter is bad. It started giving me trouble last summer but with enough starter button pushing, I could eventually get it to crank and start the engine. There were times that I heard funny sounds and I thought that the bendix wasn't disengaging when I let off the start button. After months of non-use, it will no longer crank the engine.

I removed the positive cable off of the solenoid and connected it directly to the battery. I then touched the negative cable to the battery and I got sparks and could tell that juice was flowing to the starter but it wasn't cranking the engine. The cables were getting warm. I removed the two bolt holding the starter on and moved the starter aft but there isn't enough room to remove it. It looks like I'm going to have to remove the exhaust manifold. Is there any other way to remove it or is that my only choice?

If I remove the exhaust manifold, will I be able to reuse the exhaust gaskets or should I buy new? Thanks.

Danny

+1
    Danny, most likely the exhaust gasket will be OK. If it does stick real good, just be very slow & careful when removing the manifold.

+1
    Thank you, Ozark. I'll be careful removing the exhaust.

+1
    I rotated the engine by hand with the plugs out. It would rotate about 1/2 turn and then pretty much stop. I rotated the engine to a spot where I knew the starter could turn the engine then I hit the start button and the engine cranked but it was making some funny noise coming from the back. I did this several times.

It seems like the starter is fine but I'm now thinking that I've got bad pump bearings. I had forgot the fact that I was hearing some strange noises from the pump area last summer.

The exhaust system is still intact so I don't have to worry about the gaskets. Time to pull the pump.

+1
    Lets hope it's just the pump....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mouse View Post
    Lets hope it's just the pump....

Amen to that!

+1
    It's just the pump. I pulled it a couple of days ago and there are some spots where the impeller is contacting the stainless steel wear ring. Its very apparent. On another forum, I was told that I have a "swollen wear ring" due to dissimilar metals (aluminum housing/stainless steel wear ring) and saltwater boating.

My 20+ yr old impeller is in fantastic shape and with the exception of the three "swollen spots" my wear ring looks brand new. Unfortunately it sounds like my only option is to purchase a new aftermarket pump housing like this one:

http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/...312-03-94.html

If it's the same as a WR500 i have three used ones. Email me for a faster response. [email protected]

+1
    Nope, 500 pump is for 500 only.

Wow! 20+ plus years and just a bad starter and pump? I'd say your doing pretty good with that ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information