+1

Another Over heat Problem

Purchased a low hour machine 2006 RXP. PO said it beeped while riding. It cranked fine but notice excessive vibration. Check compression 125psi all cylinders. Took it out expecting to see a low oil sensor. Got a P01116 high temp. Pulls hard. Runs fine until over heat in less that 3 minutes.

Here's what I have done to diagnose: Verified engine was indeed over heating. Was not the exhaust over heat. CHecked all hoses for correct location, replaced coolant, removed thermostat and verified operation. I have also replace head gasket with ARP stud kit.

All I can think of is ride plate problem. Seems like a long shot though. What about impeller? It was tight to the shaft. I cant imagine it being an issue. It appeared to be in good condition. Is there any history of these going bad? Thanks for the help.

+1
    Could have the 2 hoses on the side of the thermostat reversed.
    Verify cooling flow diagram to thermostat.

+1
    I've looked at it once, but I'll look again to be sure.

+1
    Is the motor really hot? or is the sensor bad? - Perhaps the water pump impeller took a shit - is coolant flowing thru the system. Hook a hose to the cooling system - and see if there is any blockage. Good luck. Let us know what you find?

+1
    Forgot to say, i did a pressure test on the system, with no leaks.

The motor is running hot. I was hoping it was the sensor, but steam came out of the hull when we shut it down. Probabaly from exhaust. It doesn't run hot at idle only.
    I can hook a hose up to the system and see if it flushes through. Thermostat will keep it closed on some parts of the system. I 'll drain the coolant and fill with water and pull a hose one at a time and see if I get good flow. The impeller looks good, but wonder if the clearances to the housing could be out of spec.

It's just hard to to suspect blockage on a closed system. It's a simple system of pump, radiator and thermostat. Maybe someone dropped a bolt in one of the hoses. Who knows.

+1
    Good Luck. Do you know if water is circulating - ie - bad water pump. You could take a hose off and see if the pump shoots water out? get it up to temp first.

+1
    Yeah, I intend on pulling hoses, but the pump is tight to the shaft and didn't look damaged. Therefore, it should be circulating.

+1
    when you did the head gasket, did you have the head surfaced? The MLS gaskets work great, but they don't allow for any warpage whatsoever. If the head is not flat, that could very well be the cause.

Thread Information