Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Considering a move to Dallas, Ausin, or Houston

Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are considering a move to Texas in the Spring. We'd be coming from Long Island where there's tons of riding and a lot of it is in the chop. I was wondering if there's any real riding around any of these cities and what the conditions typically are. My plan had been to pick up a Yamaha FX in the offseason, but now I'm holding off in case we relocate and a different ski would be better suited for down there.

Anyway, riding is the least of my concerns to be honest. We'd appreciate any feedback you could provide on any of the cities. We've actually never been to any of the cities, so we are kind of taking a huge leap of faith.

looking forward to any input you guys can share.

+1
    The Dallas area is mostly lake riding, from what I am told. The Austin is pretty much the same, with mostly lakes to ride. The Houston area, has lakes, rivers and Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico near by. Texas has plenty of water. All three areas have pretty much whatever type of riding you want to do within a few hours drive.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by etl330 View Post
    Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I are considering a move to Texas in the Spring. We'd be coming from Long Island ...

... We'd appreciate any feedback you could provide on any of the cities. We've actually never been to any of the cities, so we are kind of taking a huge leap of faith.

looking forward to any input you guys can share.
    Think about the impact of low oil prices on real estate pricing and housing demand in the areas you are looking at. It will take some time for oil prices to stabilize and the turmoil could run right through 2015 and beyond. The underlying factors are geopolitical, not just global supply and demand, so do your homework regarding texas residential property values and be careful regarding local real estate advice about market impact and forecasted house price trends.

Real Estate agents are in the business of selling properties now, not so much worrying about the financial hit you might take if house prices slide later.

A lot of people have been surprised by the 'sudden' change in oil price forecasts. How it actually plays out over the next few years involves guesswork.

The oil industry (and the Texas property market) wants 2015 oil prices above $60 per barrel. Much lower oil prices are entirely possible, with the concomitant knock on effect on regional employment and deferred house purchasing.
    Last edited by K447; 12-17-2014 at 06:25 PM.

+1
    Certainly not all encompassing, but maybe this will give you an idea of what TX has to offer a PWCer: http://pwctrailfinder.com/TexasPWCTrailRides.html

+1
    Hello etl330, you will have a very different type of riding in TX. mostly lake ... but some good ones. Yes the bay down near Houston, will offer a lot of inlet/bay riding. The housing prices will be a very pleasant surprise much cheaper than anything you can imagine. You can get a lot of house for your dollar.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Hello again, I re-read your post. I realized you want any news/insight to the cities in TX. Well i used to live in San Antonio, for 10 years. However, my children still live in Texas. My son lives in North Austin, Round Rock. He just loves the area ... he is 33. My daughter lives in Dallas, and they love the area. The housing market is so much better than anything you can think of when compared to NY. If you & your girlfriend are a young adults it would be very hard to beat the life in Austin. That part of Texas, is central to the state and allows for so many day trips to get out what Texas is all about. The money $$ in wage earnings & job availability in Austin, is getting better all the time. Good Luck

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    ... The money $$ in wage earnings & job availability in Austin, is getting better all the time...
    Is that still valid, looking into 2015?

http://www.oil-price.net/

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    ... The money $$ in wage earnings & job availability in Austin, is getting better all the time...
    Is that still valid, looking into 2015?

http://www.oil-price.net/
    Austin is not an oil town, its a tech town. The Austin economy always seems like it is doing well, not matter what the rest of the country is doing.

Houston has never had a bad economy. I love it here. Great lakes.

Thanks for all the input guys! Sorry for some reason I wasn't getting notifications about all the responses. I think we've decided to give Austin a shot come spring time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information