Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Water in oil 05 4-tec, I think I have a leak :(

So I went to sell my 215 SCIC sportster Sunday, started it, went to turn on the water, came back and blipped the throttle, it died out… I ran and turned off the water.

I think I have a water leak somewhere because the plugs keep getting wet, I can pull the plugs, cycle the motor, blow them off, re-install and then she fires up again. Then will die out if I increase throttle, and the plugs are water soaked again.

I did one oil change and it looked just as milky, so I decided to take it to the sea-doo dealership… The mechanic didn’t know that the intercooler was in the intake and asked me where it was, told me it was probably leaking from there. Needless to say, I told him to stop working on it and I’d come get it.

It’s an 05, always been winterized and taken care of, never had any issues. I haven’t used it since April of last year, but would periodically go out and start it every 3 mo.

Suggestions?

+1
    pull intercooler out and pressure test it, it could be leaking.

+1
    I would check the intercooler and dump all the water out of the intake before you try and restart at a minimum, otherwise you will probably end up bending a rod.

+1
    Thank you for the responses. Is it common for the internal intercoolers to crap out? I'll be going external fizzle if thats the case. I thought the intercooler used antifreeze and not water....

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    Thank you for the responses. Is it common for the internal intercoolers to crap out? I'll be going external fizzle if thats the case. I thought the intercooler used antifreeze and not water....
    My 05 rxp had the same issue. The intercooler uses a feed directly from the pump and dumps into the exhaust manifold.

Got almost half a gallon out of my intake. I'd do a compression test after you get all that water out of there. Just to make sure you didn't have it leaking for a while and sitting in a cylinder.

Going external will cost more than just replacing.

+1
    I just rebuilt an engine that had a leaking stock intercooler. luckily It didn't bend a rod.

+1
    Yeah, I know better than to keep cranking and for sure low rpms. I cant pick her up til tomorrow so no wrenching for now. I just still am in shock the tech didnt know it was an internal intercooler. I hate I didnt trust my gut to not tke it in.... this is a decent size dealership in fort worth. No names til I pick her up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    I just rebuilt an engine that had a leaking stock intercooler. luckily It didn't bend a rod.
    +1, that's where my motor was reborn.

10. +1 by:

+1
    So since im selling my boat, anyone have suggestions on an intercooler, used ones on ebay are way high, brand new oem cores are 700+.... ive had the worse two years on so many levels... tired of fixing broke shit and paying stupid money... anyone want a clean 05 boat? Never thought id sell all my toys, but its time to refocus. Im in fort worth by the way

Some of the best people Ive met have been off here. Thank you Jerry for hosting us, and thank you all again for the advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    So since im selling my boat, anyone have suggestions on an intercooler, used ones on ebay are way high, brand new oem cores are 700+.... ive had the worse two years on so many levels... tired of fixing broke shit and paying stupid money... anyone want a clean 05 boat? Never thought id sell all my toys, but its time to refocus. Im in fort worth by the way

Some of the best people Ive met have been off here. Thank you Jerry for hosting us, and thank you all again for the advice.
    I picked mine up off here. Just post a wtb copper internal ic. It was three yeas ago but I think I got it for $50 bucks plus sgipping. Hell, I am going external so I may have one to sell soon.....

You may have caught it fast enough and some oil/filter changes and a new ic may fix the problem. Don't give up on her yet! Haha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information