Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1999 Polaris engine in small boat, electrical problem with display

hello, i have transplanted my polaris 99 feitch 1200 engine into a small boat, it went when it was in the ski but now nothing, i have checked the wiring and everything is in order and but the MDF doenst light up although it has power going to it, then the black wire is earthed it blows the fuse, it has a small yellow rubber fuse holder, i have read the manual and cant find anywhere to start looking, if some one is out their that could give me some direction that would be much appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is this a fuel injected engine?

1999, so the engine would be from a Genesis FFI model, correct?

Ae you using the entire Polaris Ficht wiring harness?

Which display are you using? The factory Genesis display is the large MFI type with a round speedometer dial plus a large LCD display.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Which display are you using? The factory Genesis display is the large MFI type with a round speedometer dial plus a large LCD display.
    yes everything out of the ski went into the boat, i only had to make the wires a bit longer for the fuel pump.

Cbbr - Tell us more about your transplant project. What type of boat are you grafting into? Did you use the PWC hull & pump too?

I am putting a 750SL drivetrain into a alumacraft 1648 flattie.

intake plastic but the polaris jet pump was used
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0341.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	348473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0347.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	348474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0348.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	348475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0247 [800x600].jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	348476  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbbr View Post

yes everything out of the ski went into the boat, i only had to make the wires a bit longer for the fuel pump.
    Hmmm. 1999 Genesis FFI original wire harnesses are liable to develop wire internal corrosion and connector issues, especially in the grounding wiring. Dealers would sometimes wholesale replace the entire original wire harness with an upgraded replacement harness (still from Polaris), which were better made.

So you may have integrity issues right in the wire harness. Be aware of this as it can make for crazy or inconsistent troubleshooting.

Wire harness corrosion should not cause a fuse to blow, that is something else.

Recheck the wiring to the display. Is it possible that the positive and negative connections are backwards at the display, or elsewhere in the transplanted wiring?

See my signature links for details on the pin connections for the MFI display.

Be careful not to damage those 1999 fuel injectors. They were only used on the 1999 Ficht engine and are now very hard to find replacements. The 2000-2004 injectors look similar but will not work properly with your 1999 Ficht EMM.

I see the original grey fuel hoses are still on the engine. Before you start using this engine, be sure to replace the fuel hoses with new. Also add plastic sleeving to protect the fuel hoses where they rub on the injector brackets. This was a service bulletin item from Polaris.

Looks like you are also using the Polaris Ficht fuel pump in a custom fuel tank. Again, before you actually begin using the engine, be sure to reinforce the fuel pressure regulator mounting, which is inside the fuel pump. The factory mounting is liable to fall off at any time, reducing fuel pressure to near zero and possiblely damaging the running engine.

Quote Originally Posted by cbbr View Post

Hmmm. 1999 Genesis FFI original wire harnesses are liable to develop wire internal corrosion and connector issues, especially in the grounding wiring. Dealers would sometimes wholesale replace the entire original wire harness with an upgraded replacement harness (still from Polaris), which were better made.

So you may have integrity issues right in the wire harness. Be aware of this as it can make for crazy or inconsistent troubleshooting.

Wire harness corrosion should not cause a fuse to blow, that is something else.

Recheck the wiring to the display. Is it possible that the positive and negative connections are backwards at the display, or elsewhere in the transplanted wiring?

See my signature links for details on the pin connections for the MFI display.

Be careful not to damage those 1999 fuel injectors. They were only used on the 1999 Ficht engine and are now very hard to find replacements. The 2000-2004 injectors look similar but will not work properly with your 1999 Ficht EMM.

I see the original grey fuel hoses are still on the engine. Before you start using this engine, be sure to replace the fuel hoses with new. Also add plastic sleeving to protect the fuel hoses where they rub on the injector brackets. This was a service bulletin item from Polaris.

Looks like you are also using the Polaris Ficht fuel pump in a custom fuel tank. Again, before you actually begin using the engine, be sure to reinforce the fuel pressure regulator mounting, which is inside the fuel pump. The factory mounting is liable to fall off at any time, reducing fuel pressure to near zero and possiblely damaging the running engine.

Hi thanks for taking your time in the reply, i have replaced the fuel line just not updated the pictures, where can i get the upgraded replacement harness from?

+1
    These days I imagine the primary source for 'newer' Polaris Ficht wire harness would be from parted out machines.

The Ficht wire harnesses are basically similar across the years and models. Stick with three cylinder wire harnesses, of course. The only two cylinder Ficht model was the Virage i

Are you using the electric reverse motor from the Genesis? There were two versions of the reverse motor mechanical configuration, and PERC electric reverse was used on all Ficht models 1999-2002 and all Genesis models 1999-2004.

The 2002-2004 Virage models had a mechanical reverse lever, so the wire harness is different in that regard.

Polaris rejigged the hull location of the EMM and electrical boxes in various models and years, so the lengths of the wire harness sections varies.

I am not saying your current wire harness is actually bad. Just that it could be.

And blowing MFI display fuses is not, I think, caused by possible wire harness corrosion.

Update on engine,

1*** fuse not blowing now,
    2** Power to bilge. * so that works only the bilge pump is stuffed, ceased, burnt out take your pick it dosent go.
    3 * the tilt or reverse motor goes but only when the bilge switch is being pressed down, bit strange that, but it seems that is the way it is wired
    4* still not getting any sign of life from the dash gauge panel
    5* fuel pump not going yet
    6* have* bypassed earth that would go to the* LR 503 for the starter solenoid and can crank over engine
    7 * there is spark
    * sometimes it just dicks you around not wanting to behave* then it will, for no good reason behave. such is that is at this stage.
    Yes it could be dodge wiring , that is going to take some time to track down
    after blowing some more fuses I found a plug into the CPU was not plunged in,* but it did not make it work any better
    Still cannot figure how the panel lights up as all the wireing comes out of the stator / magneto and dont appear to come from the CPU/ECU

More later

+1
    Reverse system gets power from an LR module. If you have the original 1999 configuration then there is LR-31 (going from memory) that powers bilge and electric reverse via the Orange wire.

1999 uses separate Start/Stop module LR-502?
    2000-2004 use a combo LR-503 module, which can be retrofitted to 1999 if the LR-502 fails.

All the above is from memory so I may have misremembered exactly how the 1999 Ficht was configured. 1999 Genesis FII was the very first year for Polaris with Ficht. They made changes for 2000 onwards.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information